I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: spinning reel line twist
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 26, 2020 12:21PM

There's a way to end line twist entirely, if you're not fishing for food. Take up fly fishing. Only a poorly-made fly will cause twists - but only in your six to ten foot leader, not your line.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 26, 2020 12:43PM

Of you can go jug fishing.
Take an empty plastic laundry detergent container. Insure that the cap is tight. Hang 10 feet of line to the container handle. Put on a hook and a foot below it, tie on a hook. Bait the hook with a nice big minnow and throw everything in the body of water you are fishing.

When the jug starts moving around against the wind, either swim out or get into your canoe or kayak and paddle out to the jug and pick it and everything attached and bring it all back to shore.

Unhook the fish, take it home, clean it, cook it, and share the fish with the rest of your family. Total cost 50 cents.

Best wishes

Date: February 26, 2020 01:20PM

True. Spin fishing and jug fishing will both feed you better than fly fishing.

Posted by: David Graham (71.71.228.---)
Date: February 26, 2020 05:44PM

I also never understood the "theory" that using the reel handle to rotate the bailer until it closes causes line twist. That only closing the bailer by hand won't induce line twist.

Maybe these people, pro's included, don't realize that the bailer never touches the line until it closes on it. You could literally rotate and open bailer indefinitely without touching the line at all. So, what difference does it make where or how the bailer is closed?

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: February 26, 2020 07:14PM

;Right, David. Manually closing it saves the mechanism from fatigue. That's it.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 26, 2020 08:09PM

Micheal and David, are you guys telling me you never get that annoying loop of braided line that shows up on the reel spool when you crank over your bail? If you don’t notice that loop you wind in your line over it and it can cause a problem on the next cast. I’m not talking about line twisting I’m talking about a loop formation. I can avoid this loop by manually flipping the bail over by hand, it is a conscious effect on my part to keep the loop from forming. If you have never had this problem I want to know the make and model of the reels you are using.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2020 08:18PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: February 26, 2020 08:25PM

I put line on spinning reels using a variable speed drill. I put the reel spool on the drill and wind it directly from the bulk spool to the reel spool.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: February 26, 2020 08:52PM

David, I must be misunderstanding what you're saying. The first part of what you said is obvious. Of course the line doesn't touch the bail wire until it closes on it. If it did it wouldn't cast very well.

If you're saying the line doesn't touch the bail wire until the reel's line roller picks it up, then you are mistaken. The bail wire, by contacting the line, guides the line to the reel's line roller. Without the bail wire, the reel's line roller would never pick up the line. Also, if the line roller has rotated past the point the line leaves the spool. it must continue rotating until the reel's line roller picks up the line. It doesn't matter whether or not the bail is closed by hand or by turning the reel handle, the process is the same. Which I believe, is the essence of what you're saying.

My confusion comes from you saying ..."You could literally rotate and open bailer indefinitely without touching the line at all." I don't understand what you're trying to say? If you are trying to retrieve line, and the line isn't already on the reel's line roller, or you used your finger to put the line at the line roller manually, then the bail wire is going to contact the line.

As far as closing the bail with your off hand, versus using handle movement to close the bail and line twist goes ...... I can't say either way, what I will say is .........I was one of the people that went for the closing the bail by hand because I read that it was supposed to help reduce line twist. And I used to believe it, because once I started closing the bail by hand, I had a lot less problems with wind knots and the like. Eventually I learned that closing the bail using my off hand wasn't reducing line twist, but it was putting my hand in position to control the line at the spool. Once I close the bail I pull the line ahead of the reel so it comes in contact with the reel's line roller. I take out all the slack between the line roller and the spool, then I start my retrieve. One could do the same thing if you used the reel's handle to engage the bail, but the bail snapping closed can catch slack in the line and loop it over the spool lip.

Anyhow, another excellent advantage of closing the bail with your free hand is that it makes it easy to feather your line. Some people will feather the line with the finger tip of their hand that's holding the rod, I use my free hand, cupping it and letting the line pass through it. It works great and has my hand right there to close the bail.

Finally, does closing the bail by hand make a difference in line twist versus closing it using the reel's handle. I am thinking no. But it sure makes managing your line during and immediately after a cast, a whole lot easier. Which is exactly why I do it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 26, 2020 11:56PM

Here I thought the reel manufacturers had this all figured out with their new improved no twist line rollers they have been tauting all these years.

Date: February 27, 2020 01:07AM

Spencer,
In case you missed the message of this post:
The reel is NOT causing the line twist.

Rather, the line is typically put on the reel in such a way that the loading process puts twists in the line that is made worse by some of the user techniques when the rod is used.

So, to resolve the issue, get the reel loaded with line in such a way so that the line does not instantly twist as soon as the first cast is made.

Although skeptical at first when I looked at this line spooler, a close examination makes me realize that this machine virtually solves all of the line twist and line orientation issues that occur using other methods to put line on a spinning reel.

The design system essentially creates a system that as the spinning reel spool is rotated as the line is loaded, the filler reel follows the spool right around the 360 degrees to insure that the line goes on the spool 100% correctly to give a longer period of time before the inevitable line twists will pop up on the spinning reel.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

This system seems to work well and has excellent reviews of long term use of the rod and reel after having the reel spool filled using the machine.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: February 27, 2020 07:23AM

Norm, I was talking twist, not looping. Yes , I've had that loop, didn't know what was causing it. I usually but not always manually close the bail, so correlation of looping with one or the other is something I've nver considered.

Posted by: David Graham (71.71.228.---)
Date: February 27, 2020 08:38AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Micheal and David, are you guys telling me you
> never get that annoying loop of braided line that
> shows up on the reel spool when you crank over
> your bail? If you don’t notice that loop you
> wind in your line over it and it can cause a
> problem on the next cast. I’m not talking about
> line twisting I’m talking about a loop
> formation. I can avoid this loop by manually
> flipping the bail over by hand, it is a conscious
> effect on my part to keep the loop from forming.
> If you have never had this problem I want to know
> the make and model of the reels you are using.
> Norm

Lift up on your rod tip as your closing the bailer. I use all Daiwa Revros, Fuego and BG spinning reels. Even then the loops happen, especially if you're casting in to the wind.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 27, 2020 09:02AM

i remember when spin reels had no bail just a fixed spike that caught the line when the rotar was turned..i had a fishing buddy who would cut off the bails of new reels, saying they were not needed..honest..lol..they fished just fine for him..

Date: February 27, 2020 05:01PM

Spenser: Each and every rotation of a spinning-reel bail puts a twist in your line which is untwisted when you retrieve line - as long as tour drag doesn't slip. I'll take all bets, give GREAT odds. Line twist can only occur two ways on a spinning outfit: the far end of your line is twisting, from a spinner or a fouled lure - OR - your bail continues to turn while no line is retrieved (the drag slips). This is a matter of physics, not faith.

Date: February 27, 2020 06:11PM

Copy that Phil.
100% correct.

Cast out, the line twists. If the bail does not slip and if the lure does not spin - when the line is reeled back on the spool, the line becomes untwisted.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster