I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pflueger Rod Paint
Posted by: David Hartman (---)
Date: February 22, 2020 07:12PM

I have a couple of Pflueger rods and they are painted with a light black matt color and finish and you can also see through to the rod fibers.

I am building a light action rod and want to simulate that same color that you can see through to the rod.

Does anyone know how I can achieve that?

Thank you,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pflueger Rod Paint
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 22, 2020 07:45PM

Are you sure they are painted? Your description sounds like a bare charcoal colored carbon fiber rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2020 08:01PM

Graphite rod blanks don't need any finish on them.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 22, 2020 10:32PM

David,
Normally, if you use standard nylon wrapping thread as opposed to using NCP thread and avoid using any color preserver; you will normally end up with a translucent thread wrap that allows you to see through the warp down to the blank.

take care

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: February 23, 2020 10:02AM

What you describe sounds like a clear coat glossy finish over a plain carbon fiber blank. Blanks can be clear coated by body shops (best option) or some people have used Rustoleum 2X clear, etc. spray can clears as a do it yourself low-cost alternative. As Spencer said, graphite blanks don't need finish on them - in fact some people strip the finish off blanks that come coated/painted to reduce weight and remove the dampening effect that paint and coatings have on a blank.

Posted by: David Hartman (---)
Date: February 23, 2020 04:27PM

I think the Charcoal Gray might be just the ticket. Thanks everyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster