I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Placement for 11' 6" surf rod
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: February 22, 2020 04:09PM

I am building an NFC 1167-2 H power F action surf rod 11' 6" . Purpose is to cast swim bait type lures in the 3-5 oz range. Planned reel is a Penn Slammer III 4500 (spool diameter 55mm). 20-40lb braid range, most likely 30lb. Reel seat is set at 26" from butt to mounted reel stem. I have used the spool dia. x 27 to locate the choke guide at 1485mm from spool face.

From other sources I have received the following guide train recommendations;

Fuji (all KW's) 30, 25, 20, 12 8 choke and runners. This lays out on the rod a little weird it seems. The KW30 is only 20.5" from the spool face (outside the recommended 22'-28") and the guide sits on the butt section. Is the 20.5" location ok, or should I move the guide forward even if that does not fit the line from the spool axis to the choke guide? It would raise the line a lot because if I move the 30 forward it will go onto the female ferrule, which raises the height even more. Plus, the distance between the KW20 and KW12 is 8" and the distance between the KW12 and the choke is 5", with runners thereafter spaced about 5" apart. It just seems like there may be extra guides here but I am not sure. And does it matter that the stripper guide is on the butt section - seems weird none of my other surf rods have guides on the butt section.?

An alternate layout that was recommended was Fuji RV25H, RV16H, KW10m to the KW8 choke and runners. The RV25H sits at 25" from spool face and the three reduction guides seem to lay out better then the 4 reduction guides in the other guide train. But these three guides alone cost $130. Ugh. I assume I can not substitute KL-H 25 and KL-H 16 for the RV's, all of which have the same height?

Your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Placement for 11' 6" surf rod
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 22, 2020 08:04PM

maybe if the seat were moved forward a bit the guides would all fall on the tip section..isn,t the real seat position somewhat flexable..

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2020 11:14PM

Last 11'6" rod I built I believe my stripper guide was closer to 32" from the front of the reel seat, but that's with a 2.75" spool diameter. Tape some guides on and static deflect it and test cast it

Posted by: brian rossi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2020 02:26AM

You want to place the 12 at your 27x location. I'd probably push it out a little farther though, maybe 62". Put the stripper at 30" and bullseye the 25 and 20 between.

Date: February 23, 2020 09:16AM

Brian, are you suggesting using the 12 as the choke guide then? I thought the choke guide was the first runner, an 8 in this scenario?

Posted by: brian rossi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2020 09:32AM

You're correct that the first runner is the choke. I was just suggesting that because it will give you better spacing in this situation.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 23, 2020 10:05AM

I would just 25, 16, 10 and 8 runners to the tip.

I would place the 30 at 34 inches from the face of the reel, and then space the others as needed to insure a perfect line flow on a loaded blank. The 2nd guide about 14 inches further down the rod and the 3rd guide 9 inches down the rod and runners as needed.

Remember, you do not need a guide if the rod is virtually straight when the rod is loaded.

Just make sure that the stripper or size 25 guide is a RV25H to insure that there is no line slap on extreme casts. The next two can be the shorter RV16, and the KW10.

Also, there are a lot of great guides out there that will work fine and hold up very well that are not priced at $60 per guide.

Best wishes.

Date: February 23, 2020 11:45AM

Roger, thanks for the help. please clarify, did you mean RV25H, RV16H, KW10M and then 8's to the tip (KW or KT, my choice)?

Also, when you said "I would place the 30 at 34 inches" did you mean to say the 25?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 24, 2020 09:31AM

Bob,
Folks have found that after the stripper only one or possibly two smaller reduction guides are needed before getting to the runners that will take the line to the tip.

No, I meant to say 30-34 inches for the stripper on a 10-12 foot rod. My point is that if there is no bend in the rod for 98% of the time in a location, there is no need to have a guide in those rod locations to guide the line.

For shorter rods like 6-7 feet, then my stripper guide will be placed at 19-20 inches. But, as the rod gets longer my stripper location moves away from the face of the reel seat. i.e. for a 10 foot blank a good starting point is 30-34 inches.

As with any guide placement - do you testing and load the rod and insure that you have an appropriate guide in an appropriate location to insure that the line follows the contour of the loaded blank. No bends in the blank - no need to have a guide at that spot.

Take care

Posted by: Bob Ginther (---.stormvip.com)
Date: February 28, 2020 09:01AM

Thanks again Roger, And just so I can wrap my head around all of this a little more, under the above recommendations, am I still using the spool diameter x 27 to locate the choke guide, or is that also a guideline that can be deviated from as necessary?

I know people always say lay out the guides and test cast. But for a beginner like me, without some defined starting points, the test casting process seems overwhelming, with so many variables.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster