I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lamiglas walleye blanks
Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 22, 2020 08:59AM

good morning,
anyone have any feedback/reviews on the lami walleye blanks. specifically the forrest green LW 801 M , 6'8" , 3/16-5/8 6-12 lb.. and possibly the LW 841 MT (not sure what the T designation is for.)
description says walleye jigging rods, fast action sensitive tip.
The line and lure weights are right inline with what I usually look for in small jighead/plastics rod for smallmouth on several rivers using 1/8,3/16, 1/4 oz. plus plastics. havent been able to find any reviews on these blanks,

BTW ALSO , looking for a replacement for my XMG50 LC 862 that snapped in half on me (I certain it was damaged transporting, but snapped in half on a 14" smallie) that rod was an excellent 3-4" tube jig rod with 1/8-1/4oz. insert tube heads

TIA
Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lamiglas walleye blanks
Date: February 22, 2020 09:24AM

I'm thinking T designation is for trolling?
found some info on the discontinued factory built rods that shows them as mod fast not fast. lami site says fast.

Also one source says im7 graphite, hows that compare to say the old xmg 50 graphite. loved the old xmg 50s but only have a couple left

thx
Matt

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 22, 2020 10:17AM

Historically, MT has meant "magnum taper" in the Lamiglas lines, the problem with many reports on action is are they talking about how fhe tip flexes, or how fast it returns to straight after the cast, which to me is reaction. Reports on graphite as IM 7, probably left off some numbers, probably IM 700, the same graphite as G Loomis IMX, I've used both for decades and I see little difference, nothing I'd want my life to depend on. It's 47 mil graphite, the XMG were multi modulus blanks highest being 58 mil.

Date: February 22, 2020 11:43AM

Spencer thanks for the informative reply.
it's been a struggle to find info on these blanks, I may have even posted on these awhile back with very little feedback. seems no one is using them lol. alittle more digging and I found the LW68M factory rod is described as being a good drop shot/light crank blank with a light sensitive tip, which to me sounds like it may have a soft whippy tip section(not what I'm looking for) if MT is mag taper it might be more inline with what I'm looking for.

then again may just stick with st croixs and others I'm used to. I'll try giving lamiglas a call this week tho

thx
Matt

Date: February 22, 2020 01:00PM

We got lots of walleye, some over 20 lbs. just a mile, or so from the Lamiglas plant. They started getting interested in building appropriate blanks back in the late 80,s when a western walleye angler started going to walleye country and winning some money with custom rods he built on the IM 700 blanks, his name was Ron Boggs. Built some rods on the blanks he used in 6 and 6 1/2 ft. lengths, than I got stationed in Michigan.
They were ok rods, great in the rivers where larger offerings are the norm, just the conditions found in the western states. 1/2 to 1 oz. jigs are the norm here, as are deep, stepped reservoirs. Caught a 25 lb. Chinook salmon once while trolling a worm rig on a backbouncer, the rod was not impressed, had more.than enough backbone after the light tip. The blanks were rated 6 to 17 lb.to give you an idea of how they rate things.
They were IM 700 blanks rated ML, made great smallmouth rods also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2020 01:08PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 22, 2020 01:49PM

When I first started building rods many years ago, I initially only used the Lamiglas blank. I still have a few that I still consider to be one of the best walleye rods in my arsenal.

These were all 6 1/2 feet medium light rods with a very very soft tip that was ideal for negative biting walleyes.

Date: February 22, 2020 07:27PM

great info guys thank you.
really never handle any walleye specific blanks but on paper they seem to line up with what we use for smallies ....the soft tips may steer me in another direction tho. I have 2 immortal spinning blanks to build up (a M and ML, both 6'8") hoping these will fit in for what I'm looking for but was exploring back up ideas just in case.

thx
Matt

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2020 08:15PM

Matt,
I can honestly say I've never had a dropshot rod/blank in my hand that I would classify as whippy, they have all been well structured and responsive fishing tools. I believe the owner/builder at Riley Rods has won a lot of saltwater tournaments using Rainshadow dropshot and senko blanks among others Rainshadow blanks in his custom rod builds. His posts and pictures can be found under Mike Pedersen.

Date: February 23, 2020 01:00PM

I may have a few LC 862 left. Can't look now, recuperating from my 5th surgery since I had an aortic disection in late June.

Date: February 24, 2020 09:04PM

Spencer,
first off, wish you well with your recovery. hang in there.
if ya do have an extra LC862 I'd be interested for sure.

Maybe whippy wasnt the best description. i.just know some of the dropshot blanks I ve handle have too soft of a tip for what I like for working certain baits. But the are designed that way for a reason, right tool for the job/bait kinda thing.

thx
Matt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster