I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bonefish 8 wt. build - ceramic running guides?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 21, 2020 07:45PM

So I'm doing an 8 wt. for a friend for a bonefish trip. Thinking of using ceramic running guides - anyone build one like this? If so would you go with 6's or 7's for runners? I have both.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bonefish 8 wt. build - ceramic running guides?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 21, 2020 08:51PM

I would not go with ceramic running guides-they are heavier than wire snakes and single foot, right? You don't need them for casting or handling the fishes' runs, and the lightest guides will give you the fastest tip response, which you want for casting, for distance and in the winds + best balance. Look at the finest fly rods and I don't think you'll find ceramic running guides.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 21, 2020 09:13PM

I think you'd do fine with 7's, same size I have on my Dan Craft Sig V 10 wt. Salmon rod, wouldn't have built the rod any other way. Thing is you can tape on the guides and see what you think before you wrap it.
Don't know about you, but I've had better luck with bones at, or inside of 40 ft.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 09:40PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 21, 2020 09:25PM

Regarding 40 feet, me too, but my best came on a cast of about 60 feet.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 21, 2020 10:14PM

Just finished two 8 weight rods for Bahama's Bonefish and I use Minima guides on them and have for the last few years. Perform well both casting and playing the fish. Obviously they keep the weight down!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 22, 2020 10:30AM

REC NiTi snake guides work well in salt water - they are entirely immune to corrosion. The "regular" weight NiTi's are far preferable to the light ("lite"?) for an 8 wt. As for distance, no fly fisher who can cast 90' ever suffered suffered a bit from it. The wind tends to blow over open water -like the ocean - and quickly turns a 40' cast into a 20' cast in a headwind. When fishing with a guide for the first time I always "show off" early with an 80' or 90' cast - not for the glory but to help the guide put me in the best position to cast to a fish without spooking it. Try it. Your guide will not blame you. He will respect your skill and use this knowledge to approach fish and position the boat in the best spot to cast from.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 23, 2020 05:54PM

I have been doing 7s up to the tip section where I will use 6s, on an 8 wt. KW 16, KW 8 then L 7s to the tip section and then 6s with a 7 tip top, all ceramic. You save a little weight at the tip. Seaguide has L Ti framed guides that are very light. I like the Fuji KW Torzites for strippers. 12 Guides and a tip top put the stripper about an inch from the ferule for a 4 pc rod. I am getting 90' no problems but it will depend on the blank and line your are using.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster