I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hidden handle reel seat build
Posted by: Edward Ewing (---)
Date: February 20, 2020 10:14PM

Hello,
First time rod builder here. I am looking for suggestions on the best way to go about building a full cork handle similar to the Fenwick Elite tech series. I am a big fan of the full cork grip they have without having any exposed graphite from the reel seat. I apologize in advance if this hs already been discussed but I have searched far and wide for a post relating to this.

Thanks,
Eddie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hidden handle reel seat build
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 21, 2020 12:28AM

I guess you are talking about the walleye spin fishing rod.

You will need coarse Burl cork rings and black EVA rings 1 1/4" x 1/2" and some wide band trim rings that will be the same diameter as the finished grips. Also a reel seat with a hooded nut and insert that you will make out of cork.

Glue up the cork rings and the EVA rings in the desired pattern along with the insert pieces. Turn on a lathe in the desired shape and assemble on the blank. You will also have to turn the the glued up cork reel seat and grip once mounted to the blank on your wrapper to even out the OD surfaces where the joints are.

You may also be able to put all the grip components together on your blank and turn everything on your wrapper. I do not like doing this because it will make a mess where I will be wrapping but I do have a vacuum at my work station so you also may want to consider that.

I really like working with cork but the final finish on the EVA will need to be done with 3M Scotch Brite medium fine pads to get the correct finish.

The main thing you will need to find is a real seat that will take an insert like a 2 piece fly reel seat and fit / insert into the cork and the hooded nut on the other side. Nothing but cork will show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 12:39AM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 21, 2020 01:43PM

Have you looked at the VSS reel seats by Fiji, adding a Hidden Hoop foregrip? The reel foot goes over most of the exposed reel seat, Anglers Resource/Fuji to the left. There are ways to do it with a graphite skeleton, looks like a spinning reel seat with the middle cut out, and a little Dremel with a burr work to inset part of the skeleton into your rear cork grip than use the mentioned Hidden Hoop with a supplied cork fore grip designed to slip right on.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 01:58PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Harder (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 01:58PM

Eddie, I think what you're looking for is a Fuji part. It's for making foregrips. If you were to order a Frosted color, size 16 the part number is KDPS16ASH. This is from Anglers Workshop. You can also buy it in size 17 as well but that would make things more difficult for you. Since you're going to have it submerged the seat in cork there is no point in spending extra for another color. They list on Anglers Workshop for $4.69. You can buy them from Anglers Workshop, Mudhole, Janns Netcraft or any other Fuji retailer. Mudhole shows the part number as KDPS line. Part number KDPS-16...$4.69. This is the Fuji part number.

This is just for the foregrip, you'll have to buy the reel seat on which you screw this foregrip. What you'll likely want is a skeleton. They are available at Mudhole for $7.89. Part number is SKM16N. You'll toss or store the hood it comes with.

The challenges include properly sizing the cork to closely fit the hoods.You used to be able to buy cork rings milled at the factory to fit perfectly. I'm not sure they're still available. Then, once you turn the cork to size you'll have to cut out a section (on the bottom) to accept the reel foot. You could rasp it flat, which is what we did for many years. Or, if you're skilled enough with a Dremel with a 1/8" end mill you could mill out a section to accept the reel. This is a difficult process to accomplish the fit and finish deserving of a custom build. Certainly, the time it will take, if it's for a paid customer, makes it untenable.

Edited to add; Remember, the first cork ring on the foregrip hood is NOT glued to the other cork. They must be free to turn to tighten the foregrip. This is why a tougher type of cork or EVA was suggested. But, remember, to make more of the grip with tougher cork (rubberized) makes it significantly heavier. I would only use it at the wear points.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 02:10PM by Tom Harder.

Posted by: Edward Ewing (---)
Date: March 07, 2020 06:35PM

Thank you all for the input. I recently finished the handle/grip. I wanted to share photos of the handle but I am not sure how to include pictures in a post. I basically turned a cork handle in which I recessed a fuji skeleton reel seat hood for the lower reel mount. For the reel seat body surface I shaped a section of rubberized cork, hand milling out a flat for the reel foot. I then used a skeleton threaded section to which a downlocking hidden thread fore-grip was used. I completely enclosed that in cork to make what I think was ‘a good go’ at recreating the fenwick handle I mentioned. Sorry if that was hard to interpret. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Ed

Posted by: Tom Harder (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2020 01:46AM

Nice work Ed!! I'm sure it came out really nice.

Yes, those Fenwicks are nice and they are reasonable for the quality. Of course, it's not a custom build so they would be losing out on the handmade qualities you bring to the project!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster