I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ALPS Rapid Spin Toray Seat Questions
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: February 20, 2020 03:19PM

Haven't used this reel seat yet in a build, and am planning to mount this as an uplocking seat, so the threads are towards the butt end. This being said, can you cut the threads shorter on the toray seat, knowing this is not graphite. Expensive seat, so I did not want to risk ruining it.

Also knowing I will be using this as uplocking, what are you all doing at the front of this real seat (no foregrip). Is this a specific hosel or trim ring. See the example in the link provided, wanted something clean and flush.

[spiraliterods.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ALPS Rapid Spin Toray Seat Questions
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 20, 2020 03:28PM

Jay,
The best idea with any rod is to just leave the reel seat alone.

Yes, I know all of the arguments about matching the rod to the reel, but for many folks the rod will last many more years than the reel. There are also the times where a new reel hits the market and folks want to use the new reel on their favorite custom rod. If, the foot of the reel is longer than the reel seat, there is a problem. Either cut the foot of the brand new reel, or strip the rod to put on a new reel seat.

But, of course, do what works for you and your particular needs.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: February 20, 2020 04:54PM

Not cutting to fit a larger reel, I usually trim down all my graphite seats to eliminate the excess threads that's all. Thanks for the advice though, I agree that I wouldn't cut just for a reel.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 20, 2020 05:12PM

Jay,
If you don't mind me asking, but from your e-mail it appears that you may be from the Minnetonka area in MN.?

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 20, 2020 05:24PM

I wouldn't cut it. the 1/4 inch or so you'll get weighs next to nothing and the length isn't that big an appearance issue. There is always a risk. However, I believe Toray is simply a specific brand/type of carbon fiber and the methods used on other "graphite" seats should work. High speed, very low feed rate, lots of teeth on the saw or use an abrasive cutter.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 20, 2020 06:04PM

I cut (shorten the threads) on almost all reel seats including Batson's Tory seats, both spinning and casting.

Personally: if I needed to shorten (a sometime in the future) Reel foot, in order to fit my rod. I would not cut it either.

But I would GRIND that sucker down shorter in a heat beat!!!!! And have in the past.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 20, 2020 06:15PM

They are Toray graphite. If it's a size 16 seat, check into a Fuji WCS check in size 17. Not saying it'll fit but there's a good chance. They fit a 16 Fuji TVS when used uplocking.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---)
Date: February 20, 2020 07:15PM

Great input guys, guess the trim/hosel will be trial and error for fit

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: February 21, 2020 04:45PM

I've trimmed the MVT casting seats threads with zero problems. It cuts like any other "graphite" reel seat. Personally I use a copping saw with a very fine tooth blade. It works great.

As far as something to cap off the end of the reel seat goes ... you might want to consider something that I do, and make a little nub (for lack of a better word) that is turned down to the same OD as the part of the reel seat you're butting it against. As all of the butt caps I have used thus far have been EVA, I use a 1/4 - 3/8" thick piece of EVA that I turn down to match the OD of the (for me) barrel thread. You could do the same with cork if you so choose. Just order a couple of cork rings in the different types available and an ID you can ream to fit, and see what you like. If you are going with a carbon fiber grip. EVA would probably be the material of choice.

So far I've used a black rubber winding check as the finishing touch.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 21, 2020 06:40PM

Fuji TVS-16 I.D. at end opposite threads is 16.8 mm. .660in. O.D. 20mm. .780in.

Posted by: Brandon parlacoski (---)
Date: February 23, 2020 07:21PM

You can for sure trim them, I cut them with a type 1 aluminum oxide cutoff wheel works perfect. As far as the winding check not sure about size 16 but I know a Fuji wcs 17 check fits the size 17 threads perfectly with a little Dremell work to hollow out the inside.

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster