I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
small rod guides
Posted by: Rick Shaffer (67.213.20.---)
Date: February 19, 2020 05:50PM

I am new to the rod building obsession and have a question for those who are more experienced than me. Would it possible to use the regular ol' "dime store" glue stick to temporarily put the small guides in place until they can be wrapped or at least long enough to allow me to tape them down with masking tape? I will purchase some guide adhesive but will not be able to receive the adhesive for a few days. I used tubing for the initial installation of guides but was unhappy with one of my wrapping jobs and chose to redo it. Unfortunately, it was not the last guide I was unhappy with, so using tubing for the redo was not an option.

Thanks ahead of time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: small rod guides
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2020 05:59PM

I wouldn't.
It will probably foul your threads and the epoxy used - fish eyes
Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 19, 2020 06:01PM

Rick,
Use 1/8th inch wide masking tape.
That is all that I normally ever use for holding guides in place.

However, for micro guides and for guides on very small diameter rod blanks like ice rods near the tip, I will use Dental elastic bands that have a size of .1 or .15 inches.

When I put the bands on the rod, I put on at least two bands for every guide. That way, if a band breaks, or you need to redo the wrapping, there is a 2nd band on the blank to hold the guide.

If you don't want to go out and buy 1/8th inch wide striping tape, just use a razor blade to cut 1/8th inch wide pieces off of wider masking tape. Just take and stick down strips of wide tape on a piece of glass or a plastic cutting board and then use a razor blade, or razor knife or scalpel to cut the more narrow 1/8th inch wide masking tape strips.

With respect to your question about glue. You could use the technique and material you mention, or you could use tape of a more narrow width to hold the guide in place.

Best wishes

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 19, 2020 06:08PM

Rick,
You may be new to rod building but you are wise to realize it is an “obsession” = you will do well! Yes, craft hot-melt glue is fine for securing the guides to the blank prior to wrapping but do not use it for the tip top; the tip top should be installed with tip top/ ferrule (hot-melt) adhesive which has a higher melting point and is stronger. I use hot-melt glue to secure my guides although there are those who do not approve of the procedure. It can restrict final guide alignment after the wraps are done but it can be accomplished. Use a minimal amount to avoid the hot-melt from oozing out from under the guide foot as that can cause problems while thread wrapping.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 19, 2020 06:19PM

Small drop as in end of a toothpick small.

Posted by: Pat Retlich (---.clevwi.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: February 19, 2020 07:22PM

I've been having good luck using dental floss, you can get them on good and tight. And you can unwrap them a little at a time as you go up the guide foot.

Pat Retlich

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2020 08:20PM

You can also start a guide wrap, and then insert a small guide foot under the wrap and work from there.

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: February 20, 2020 09:27AM

you could put a dab of elmer's glue on the foot and let it dry for a minute or so, and then put it in place. you will need to hold the guide in place for a bit, till you can get your finger off the guide without pulling the guide off the blank. I do this with micro's. but i am retired and am in no hurry with this hobby.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 20, 2020 09:42AM

Sewing supply stores sell elastic thread at a modest price. You can stretch it and wrap it around your blank/guide feet three or four times, then tie a square knot. Then you can slide your guide to the exact spot you want and position the elastic wraps near the center of the guide, enabling you to wrap your thread almost to the guide eye before you touch the taut elastic thread with a razor blade and the thread will literally leap off the blank. The thread will leave no silicone or powder or tape adhesive or anything else to contaminate the thread wraps or your epoxy finishing coat. It's easy, clean, quick, and cheap - the best stuff for positioning guides I have found in 60 years of rod building.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: February 20, 2020 09:58AM

I have used a little coating from a hot glue stick for holding the guide on the blank to thread wrap without any problem for many years. Heat the bottom of the guide foot with a lighter for five seconds, swipe the front half lightly on the glue stick, hold in place on the blank for about five seconds until the glue sets, wrap, and adjust the guide's position.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.broadband.sta.mhtc.net)
Date: February 20, 2020 12:09PM

Don Morton was a fan of Duco Cement to glue guides on, it was a weak adhesive that would give when you tweaked the guides and wouldn't contaminate the wrap. [www.acehardware.com]

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: February 20, 2020 08:55PM

I used magic thread near the base of the guide eye. Works great on micro guides as well. Cheaper than those rubber bands and can still move guides around after wrapping on.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 20, 2020 10:08PM

Rick,
Are you still with us?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Rick Shaffer (67.213.20.---)
Date: February 20, 2020 11:18PM

yes I am...used 1/8 in. masking tape....I figured out how to utilize it best...was able to finish last rod guide...ready to apply epoxy on thread....I really appreciate all the thoughts,,,this forum is terrific

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2020 01:32AM

My wife found these little wooden clothespins that are used for holding notes/memos on the fridge door. Well one ended up on my bench and with a little help from my belt sander it is now about 3/16 " wide at the nose and perfectly holds those micro guides near the rod tip.
E Z on E Z off, their made of wood so you can file a valley in the nose to accept the guide foot on one jaw and another for the blank on the other. I'll have to ask her where she got them so you guys can also. She likes to shop in the dollar stores so that's where I'm thinking to start looking or the craft stores.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 21, 2020 08:07AM

i do as Tom suggests by putting the guide under the thread and wrapping from there..but i wrap DOWN the guide foot to the tip then whip finish..no tape or glue for these old shakey hands..

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 21, 2020 10:07AM

There are disadvantages to the use of any type of glue, tape, or adhesive to hold guides in place. Fine adjustments in guide positioning are nearly impossible after gluing or taping, and glue/tape/adhesives can and will leave residue on the blank which will corrupt your finish coat. Elastic thread solves these problems.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 21, 2020 07:32PM

Orthodontic ligatures are excellent.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 21, 2020 07:53PM

Phil,
You are correct about a tape leaving a residue.
As a result of that fact, I continue to use tape to attach the guides to the rod.
But, I do not tape the guides in place unless I am going to wrap them that day or the next day. If it turns out that it is going to be more than a day, I cut off the tape, remove the guides and clean the blank to be free of anything.
Then, when I do get the calendar cleared to do the wrapping I will tape the guides in place and wrap.

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: February 21, 2020 09:01PM

Roger, What do you clean the blank with?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster