I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new fly-rod builders
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 16, 2020 02:01PM

Unlike spinning rods and casting rods, matching the fly line to the fly rod is ABSOLUTELY critical. If a rod builder can't cast a fly line 70 feet or more he should seek the advice of someone who can match a fly line to the fly rod to avoid bad feelings. The usefulness of the number on the fly rod blank and on the fly line box varies widely with the ability of the fly caster. What should be fun will become frustration and hard feelings if fly rod AND fly line are not matched to fly caster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 02:02PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new fly-rod builders
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2020 08:34PM

Phil
Good advice.
Lots of frustration can be avoided if one uses the correct line for the rod - and the caster's ability.
Unfortunately that may require one spending a lot of money.

Also unfortunately - frequently the new caster is not aware that he/she has that issue.

That is why I test all of my CTS rods with various lines and offer to share my findings with buyers.
You'd be surprised how many rods need either more, or less, grains than the stated rod rating.
Herb

Posted by: Quinn Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2020 08:39PM

Phil,
Not sure any proficient fly caster or rod builder would disagree but the ability to cast 70' only applies to open water (fresh or salt) fisherman. When I trout fish it is a pretty rare situation where I need to cast more than 40' let alone 70. If you follow basic recipes, any guide/spacing recommendation will do. That has little to do with the fly line choice. Or perhaps another way to say that is unless the rod builder totally @#$%& the line and casting skills has WAY MORE influence than the the blank and components.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2020 08:44PM

Quin,
You are stating the same opinion as Phil.
He is not commenting on components - just line choice via a vis the rod choice.
Herb

Posted by: David Miller (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 16, 2020 10:16PM

With some line manufacturers having line 1 to 2 line weights over AFTMA standard and rod blanks underrated to make them feel faster action it makes it quite complicated now.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2020 06:53AM

I have never found a fly rod blank that was UNDER its line rating power (CCS). Every one was over at least half a line weight. On other rods my numbers correlate quite well with manufacturers numbers, so I'm confident I'm about right.

It's pretty easy to measure the weight of the line so it can be compared with the rod power and the line standards, also. Knowing the numbers can help figure it out a lot. The Rio Bonefish Shooter line is about 2 line weights heavy for the first 30 feet. Easy to get started, but probably limiting for distance, also hits the water a little hard.

I think there are a lot of fly fishermen out there who would be really challenged to make a 70 foot cast. That's about my limit under the best of conditions (line + leader).I admit my shoulders are significantly compromised. After many years, still a work in progress.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2020 10:31AM

I fly fish in many parts of the world and for many species. The need to cast 70 feet or more is very rare, in my experience it is sometimes for Steelhead and Bonefish.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 17, 2020 02:19PM

The main thing is to determine what the customer's expectations, needs, and abilities are BEFORE purchasing blanks and components. Here in Florida an angler is frequently at a disadvantage if he or she can not cast 70 feet, whether using a fly rod or any other type of rod.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 18, 2020 02:15PM

To me, a person will use what he has and make it work whether the line matches the rod or not. He may not know it would work better with a different line but it will be what he perceives, as working. I fish all over also and often go up or down a line weight, with the same rod, depending on the conditions. I learned how to cast in saltwater and I totally agree with both Phils and I will add that it doesn't hurt to learn to double haul either. In saltwater a 70' to 100' cast can be very productive so matching the line to the rod is essential. In stream or small river fishing where the distance is not so much a factor as accuracy (even short distance saltwater) then whatever it takes is best, and the presentation is all important. Rods and blanks are a lot stiffer / faster now than they were in the 80s and 90s so now fly lines are heavier with different taper choices and as stated earlier it can become quite expensive too get the right match for the rod.

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.33.16.93.rev.sfr.net)
Date: February 19, 2020 02:46AM

I think Phil's (very valid) point was not about who's got a big cast, but about a specific need in custom fly rod building: namely to be able to recommend a good line for the rod, which is hard to do if you didn't spend enough time casting fly rods. The way I understand it, just being good at catching fish with a fly rod on your waters isn't good enough, because you'll have to put yourself into your customer's shoes, and that requires a good dose of fly casting litteracy.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster