I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod stripping guide
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 01:44PM

I knew I read somewhere before but I couldn't find it in the search. Tom had mentioned that he usually puts the stripping guide at 32". I wasn't sure where that distance. From the end of the butt, or the end of the reel seat? This will be my first fly build so don't want to screw it up before I get started.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod stripping guide
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 05:18PM

You want the stripping guide a little beyond your reach when grabbing the line either to cast or retrieve.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2020 06:09PM

From the rod butt, put it at 32 inches and it'll be just right for about any fly rod from short light line rod to big game blue water rods.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 14, 2020 09:56PM

One of the things I like about this site, everyone tries to use the same values when measuring things. Just the other day someone asked for a 21 inch grip. Took a while for us to get on the same page, he wanted the 2 grips and reel seat to equal 21 inches starting with a 4 inch foregri?p.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 10:16PM

Remember, everyone is different. I like Phil's response to just beyond your reach. That way it fits you, not a dimension.

Date: February 14, 2020 11:09PM

Put it at 32 inches beyond the butt. Guaranteed.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2020 07:50AM

I put mine between 32-33".
Being able to reach it is not important. If your cast doesn't straighten the line where it's reachable - shorten the amount of line that is off the reel - if that doesn't work for you just move the rod hand back until you can reach the line.
32" makes for the best line flow. Also allows you to place running guides closer together than if you put the stripper closer to the butt.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 09:25AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 15, 2020 06:28PM

Herb, with all due respect of one who is obviously an expert at fly rods, why would you not put them all at 32? Or 33? Or 32 1/2? If there is one dimension that, without exception, is right, why do anything but that dimension. ?
Without having to do anything other than reach up to the guide, if the guide is even close to the right place, I'll find the line. However, I still believe that the right place for that guide, the place that is most natural for a fisherman, can vary with the physical characteristics of the fisherman. It's hard to believe that a person with a 30 inch cuff and a person with a 35 inch cuff would find the optimum to be a single dimension. If that dimension affects the performance of the rod, then it's also hard to believe that a 7 foot fly rod and a 9-6 fly rod would have the same dimension.

Date: February 15, 2020 06:35PM

And yet they do. Decades of trial and error has proven to me that 32 inches is going to be almost perfect for any rod whether it be a 6 foot or a 10 foot fly rod. Overall rod length has nothing to do with it. (Sort of like the NGC - it the distance from the reel to the butt guide that matters.)

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2020 10:32PM

Michael
If a ferrule makes me adjust the position of guides , I may also move the stripper. BTW - I have built a couple of personal 4 pc fly rods with the stripper close to the female ferrule on the second section. I don't think they cast as well as the rods where the stripper is at the 32-33" mark. Line tends to "jump" up instead of flowing out at the lesser angle.
Also - line flow out of a stripping basket - or boat - or grass - is the same - so the stripper position is pretty much fixed.
Herb

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 16, 2020 07:42AM

Thanks, Herb.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 16, 2020 10:30AM

Thanks for all the replies. I will be setting up the guides in the next few days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster