I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Breathing and particle protection:
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 14, 2020 09:03AM

I recall reading a post about someone who had gotten allergic to some of the adhesives.

Also, I was talking to my brother who does a not of wood turning and has gotten allergic to the wood chips and particles. Yes, one can get sensitized to anything.

But, so that he could continue to enjoy his avocation, he did some research and picked up one of the new 3-M full respirator helmets with pressurized air flowing into a full face mask helmet with ear protection.
The mask also comes with replaceable shields so that when things get splattered on the mask, the inexpensive shield cover can be replaced rather than the much more expensive full face plate itself.

The setup is not inexpensive. But, as he said - he wants to enjoy his vocation, but he only have one set of lungs, one set of ears, and one set of eyes. So, to him it is worth the price.

So, for the folks who do have allergies, and other concerns when it comes to certain aspects of rod building, you might want to consider one of their products.

[www.3m.com]

[www.3m.com]

There are many many more unique products available in their product line. So, if you have unique needs to protect your body from particles, noise vapors or others, just give them a call or check their catalogs. These are certainly not for everyone and are not needed by many folks. But, for those folks who do have a need, this company likely has the exact product that you need to solve your particular problem with respect to making your environment a safer and less allergic place to work.

I do not represent the company, but when my brother showed me his gear that he uses when working; it all made sense to use to put out a better product with the best products for assemblies and finish, without harming his body and or lungs.

Take care

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Breathing and particle protection:
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: February 14, 2020 10:41AM

Roger is spot on correct - one can develop an allergy over time and with what seems to be minimal to modest exposures. And once sensitized even the small amounts used to test for sensitivity can set off ugly reactions. I've been there, done that, and am still wearing the T-shirt.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 08:56PM

I use positive pressure masks at work for IDLH atmospheres. We are using mostly grade D breathing air that includes SCBA type systems. It is highly advisable to be fit tested for these types of mask. Without the correct fit they will not seal properly and what you are trying to prevent from breathing can get in. You may be able to get by with just an air purifying respirator, this does not have positive pressure and is much more affordable than the Atmosphere-supplying respirators. You will need to be clean shaven in the seal area for either of these to work properly and for the 3M air purifying type you will need the purple organic vapor,acid gas,HEPA filters. Anyway you look at it, you will be ready for the Corona virus. You may also want to look into a box of Tyvek suits.

[www.northernsafety.com]
[txsafetysupply.com]

Posted by: Mark Warnke (---.car2-wispds4-pool9.amplex.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 09:42PM

That's just like what I wear everyday at work. The company I work for manufactures Beryllium products So we have to have lots of PAPR.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 10:13PM

One thing to do is to research the wood type you are turning. Some are toxic when particles are inhaled. One needs to understand the hazards going in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster