I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fore Grip Question
Posted by: David Hartman (216.75.200.---)
Date: February 13, 2020 04:02PM

I am putting together a split handle kit on my spinner rod. Can I use three of the fore grips to make up the handle?

I want 2" on the fore grip, 3" on the rear grip and 3" for the butt end.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fore Grip Question
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: February 13, 2020 04:38PM

David

Absolutely! I have done this many times, both with cork and EVA foregrips.

Rog

Posted by: David Hartman (216.75.200.---)
Date: February 13, 2020 04:41PM

Thank you,

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: February 13, 2020 04:44PM

I've built 5 spinning rods so far and other than one that has a full length carbon fiber rear grip, every one of them is a split grip that uses a fore grip for the rear grip against the reel seat., I prefer it because of the way you (or at least me and most people I have seen) hold a spinning rod, you don't need a long rear grip. I use a 2 1/4 - 2 1/2" fore grip mounted backwards. My butt grip is an actual butt grip through.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 13, 2020 05:00PM

For most of my spin rods, fresh water bass, I turn my own cork and use a very short "ramp" off the front of the uplocking seat, a very small ramp off the rear, and a normal butt knob, shaped the way I want it with curves rather than edges. You can do whatever you think is right, and even the foregrip components one can buy can be improved on.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 13, 2020 05:03PM

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 14, 2020 04:25AM

Mike is right, if you're hand don't need it for comfort, it's wasted weight and money. Don't know how Rich Forhan's comfortable 2 1/2 inch grip/butt length and shape morphed into 4 plus inch weird shapes.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 14, 2020 08:21AM

David,
Any more, I seldom put a fore grip on a rod.
Depending on the configuration, the fore grip often is just never used.
Just put a nice blending winding check in front of the reel seat and call it great.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 08:53AM

Spencer I completely agree, Rich created the original design and although I use many of the commercial grips I sure wish they would make a 2 1/2” rear carbon grip. I have many early grips cork grips based off of Rich’s design prior to Andy introducing carbon grips and much prefer them over these longer grips available currently. Yes I know I can make my own, but I guess I am getting lazy.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 10:50AM

don,t people still use a good size foregrip on their flipping rods to get some leverage for pulling fish from heavy cover..a can,t imagine no fore grip on a flipping rod or any rod for that matter, just for the leverage..

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: February 14, 2020 04:44PM

Below is a link to one of the spinning rods I've built using a reverse mounted fore grip as the part of a split rear grip.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If it looks like amine blush on the rear grip and the butt grip, it's because there was. Everything was just dry fitted when I took the picture. I've since sanded and re-coated the grips to get rid of the blush, eliminated the trim ring and little carbon sleeved fore grip that I made, (just didn't like it) and since I eliminated the fore grip I shorted the thread tube by quite a bit. Anyhow ...... fore grips work fine for grips. They'd probably work just as well on a casting rod, as they do a spinning rod

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster