I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perma Gloss
Posted by: Mark Warnke (---.car2-wispds4-pool9.amplex.net)
Date: February 12, 2020 03:19PM

I have a spinning rod I am building with a cedar handle and fore grip from Archies custom Handles.
Would several thin layers of perma gloss work for a finish on the cedar?
Thanks.

Mark Warnke

Black Swamp Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perma Gloss
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 12, 2020 03:26PM

Mark,
Possibly.

I have made a lot of Cedar handles and I simply use two coats of high build flex coat - sanding lightly after the first coat.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The handles shown above were for Ice fishing rods.

Best wishes

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2020 04:40PM

Yes, PermaGloss is an excellent as a wood finish. It's water white clear, will never yellow, harder and more flexible than epoxy and is very light in weight.

Date: February 12, 2020 04:40PM

Yes, PermaGloss is an excellent as a wood finish. It's water white clear, will never yellow, harder and more flexible than epoxy and is very light in weight.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.201.---)
Date: February 12, 2020 07:20PM

Tru-Oil would be my choice, and is much easier to work with.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.201.---)
Date: February 12, 2020 07:20PM

Tru-Oil would be my choice, and is much easier to work with.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 13, 2020 06:04PM

If you use PG while turning as Tom shows with CF grips it will work great. A few coats would even add some strength (toughness?) to the wood.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 14, 2020 08:24AM

Also,
When done correctly CA glue works very very well as well.

One can use plastic wrap for doing the initial application. Also, for most of these types of finishes, use latex or rubber gloves. A lot easier to throw away the used gloves than trying to remove finish from one's hands. The CA does not stick to the plastic wrap but penetrates and makes the grip even stronger.

Take care

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 14, 2020 01:19PM

Seems like a smooth, hi-gloss finish over cedar would be quite slippery?

Posted by: Mark Warnke (---.car2-wispds4-pool9.amplex.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 09:11PM

Thanks Guys for all the help. I decided to go with a couple of coats of flex coat like Roger suggested. It worked good but my flex coat resin had clumped. You know how it does because my shop is in the basement where its cooler than the rest of the house. So I put it in some warm water to dissolve it and there were still some tiny undissolved clumps. Well 2 coats of that were enough so I scotch brighted the wood and just put a layer of perma gloss on it. we shall see what happens.

Phil; I thought about that too but figured it was a light rod for bluegill, crappie, rock bass ect. Didn't figure it would matter too much. Besides your hand is grabbing the reel seat and the reel foot.

Thanks Again everybody.

Mark Warnke

Black Swamp Custom Rods

Date: February 14, 2020 11:11PM

No it won't be slippery. Smooth and slippery are not the same thing.

But epoxy is a poor product for this. PermaGloss is far superior in this particular application.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 15, 2020 10:58AM

I agree with Tom, Permagloss is the best for what. you want to do. More durable, won’t yellow, peel or craze and doesn’t get an amine blush when wet.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 16, 2020 01:10PM

Hear this quite regularly, why would a fishing rod grip be slippery and unusable, but not your hickory handled hammer, ax, sledge, splitting maul, etc. When I first started building, many years ago, G Loomis hadn't been around long and people were mentioning how those rods just "felt right" in the hand while fishing, it was ergonomics, Gary was using the Wiebe reel seats that have an OD about the size of the 20 mm pipe seat and they transitioned smoothly into the rear grip, much like the Fuji IPS seats do, he was big on that, refusing to use less than a 17 mm pipe seat on any rod. I've been doing the same, though I rarely use less than an 18 mm, and I have hands with short fingers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster