I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Exposed Reel Seat EVA handles
Posted by: Scott Backholm (45.56.142.---)
Date: February 12, 2020 01:26PM

Hello all, i am repairing a rod for a friend who had some squirrels chew up the eva grip. Couple questions? 1) Does anyone know the type of Reel seat this is? 2) I am trying to find the EVA handles for the rear part of the seat and the butt.

Any help greatly appreciated.

/r Scott

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

"My biggest fear in life is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exposed Reel Seat EVA handles
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: February 12, 2020 02:41PM

That is a Abu Garcia Veritas. LOVE those things, they make me more money than any other out there!!!! They have the worst failure rate of guides that I have come across. The real seat is their proprietary design. If you have the capability of turning a handle turn one up and mount it from the rear. ( these rods are 49.00 wholesale, not top tier by any means). You can easily order a split Eva piece and utilize that too vice turning one.

Personally I would recommend you build him an entirely new rod and allow him to experience the advantage of custom!

Tom

Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2020 02:55PM

Haha I agree with you on that front, his son bought it for him so he wants it. Makes sense its an AG seat, thanks i was going crazy trying to match it! Yes i will just turn my own just trying to get close.

Thanks again!
Scott

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 12, 2020 03:12PM

It is an Abu Garcia unique reel seat, it is not sold by retailers. The threaded barrel is Aluminum and uses a metal cage type hood, and threads do not fit other types of movable reel seat hoods. In your case i would leave the reel seat in place. Clean up the butt section of the rod to accept a new EVA rear grip and fighting butt which will be installed from the rear. Basically, ream the new grip to just barely fit over the end of the butt and slide it into position. You can get a nice snug fit by using a wrap or two of dry wall tape under the grip. Since the back of reel seat is sloped, you will need to match the slope of the rear grip to the slope of the back of reel seat. Another, option is to carefully trim the back of the reel seat so it is flat and thus matches the flat face of the rear grip. Not that hard of a repair, should go quite easily.
If you want to replace the reel seat you will need to get the old seat off and install a new one similar to a PacBay Minima casting reel seat sized to fit the blank. This will require removing some of the guides. It’s easier to just replace the grips from the butt end.
N

Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2020 05:51PM

That is my plan, thanks so much

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster