I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Long reel seat for spey rod
Posted by: Daryl Dertell (---.consumer-pool.prcdn.net)
Date: February 11, 2020 03:55PM

Hello all. I have a question folks, have been using A8.5 L2 reel seats for a few builds and was quite happy with this reel seat. It is long enough to fit old salmon reel feet if you only used one lock nut. Have just used last one I had and seems to no longer be available from last supplier and seems Baston no longer either. The recessed hood seat is listed still but prefer the no recessed ones. Dimensions were 4.6 inch long and o d of 20.19 mm.Does anyone know of supplier for either the original in old stock or of a seat of similar dimension. Thank you

Re: Long reel seat for spey rod
Posted by: Quinn Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2020 11:34PM

I don't know of any that long but what about using reel seat skeleton and a wood or acrylic insert of the desired length assuming you can bore out the insert to the necessary rod diameter.

Date: February 13, 2020 11:37AM

Thanks Quinn, I guess that is only way to get an affordable long reel seat. I was hoping I,d missed something in my searching.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 17, 2020 03:35AM

Daryl,
Have you cleaned out Schneider's to the left?

Posted by: Daryl Dertell (---.barrettxplore.com)
Date: February 17, 2020 07:47PM

No ,I,ll have a look right now and Thanks for tip.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2020 08:44PM

If you can’t find what you are looking for, how about the Fuji TVS 17 graphite spinning reel seat. It is 14.5 mm (5.07”) long with an OD of 19.5 mm. The threads can be cut back to adjust the length to fit almost any reel, and you can use a standard size 17 movable hood, and a locking nut if you wish. You can also use an insert of your choice to give it some pizzazz. I once used a size 16 seat on a 6 wgt fly rod for a friend. Might not be traditional, but It worked great.
Norm

Date: February 19, 2020 11:20AM

Thanks Norman, will take a look at those as well. Seems everyone has went to recessed hoods on the metal seats that size. Looks like its going to be a skeleton seat and will have to turn an inset for it. Anyone know of a skeleton with a non recessed hood around 19-21 mm out side OD in metal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster