I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Running Train
Posted by: Anthony Pav (---.115.10.48.res-cmts.prk.ptd.net)
Date: February 11, 2020 04:26AM

I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions on the minimum/maximum distance between guides on the running train. I understand that a static test is needed to verify.

I am building a 7'4" med/hvy spinning rod that will be using 8lb flouro. and KT5's for the running train.

Thank you, Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Running Train
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 11, 2020 07:26AM

Go to the Angler's Resource site and use their software, the appropriate one of two there for the types of guides you're using. If you're doing a static test it doesn't matter what opinions others have. They don't know your blank.

Especially for a med/hvy power rod you should be using at least two KB's, I'd use three. Even though you plan to use 8 pound test line for which KT's would likely be OK, you might change your mind and go heavier, especially if you change to braid. You'll never feel the weight difference, IMO.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 11, 2020 07:26AM

I am more curious as to why a med/heavy if you are only using 8lb line....

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.154.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 11, 2020 10:02AM

Depending on the concept you are using, I usually go no less than 4" and no more than 5" between the runners. THEN I do a static test and make adjustments from there. Again, this is only my starting point. Also consider that a rod with a medium or slow action can require closer spacing or an extra runner as compared to a extra fast action. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me because I'm doing it wrong and don't know it.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hstntx.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 11, 2020 10:26AM

Ken Brown 2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am more curious as to why a med/heavy if you are
> only using 8lb line....

Myself also. I would think a light or maybe a medium light blank would be better for 8 lbs line. How are you going to use the finished rod?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 11, 2020 01:17PM

Anthony,
Depending on the blank I have placed guides as far as 30 inches from each other and as close as 2 1/2 inches from each other. The blank will tell you what it needs.

You do speak "Blank talk" don't you. Load the blank and the appearance of the blank is the blank speaking to you.

Best wishes

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 11, 2020 02:34PM

my blanks just weep..lol.

Date: February 12, 2020 04:29AM

I followed the guide layout as calculated on the Anglers Resource site. The recommendation was for four #5 guides after the choke guide, but they dont give distance measurements like they do for the reduction train. Four guides in the reduction train leaves what seems like excessive of distance between guides; hence my question on other peoples opinion/experience. I already have a fifth guide available and will probably add it to the running train. Again; I was just curious of other peoples experience/opinions.

As for why I am using 8lb on a med/hvy rod. The majority of my fishing is for smallmouth in rivers. I wanted a rod that will be able to throw up to 1/2oz for getting soft plastics deep quickly in current. In my experience lighter line weights allow the bait to get deeper quicker in current, and have less drag. I also like the fact that lighter line allows me to break off easier when snagged on the bottom. I have been fishing this type of setup for many years with no problems. I also have other med/lt. med, and med/hvy setups that all use 6lb and 8lb line on.

Thank you, Tony

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 12, 2020 07:27AM

Ok, that makes a bit more sense then. It just seemed odd to me to use a stouter rod with that light of line. I would think that you would lose a bit of sensitivity, but if you have been using this type of setup then ill take your word for it :)

Date: February 12, 2020 09:01AM

Take a look at the 3 guide reduction train, 20 KLH, 10KLH, and the 5.5 M-no need for 4 reduction guides, IMO. I did a MH 7 foot rod for my son with a 2 guide reduction train and it works fine. If using the KLH guides make sure to use the KR software on the site.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 12, 2020 12:11PM

The fourth guide is always the choke guide and I assume, in your case, it is a KB5. On your rod the choke will be about 23” in front of the stripper, with the stripper about 20” in front of the reel spool. I would add one additional runner, for a guide train of 9 guides total (I.e. KL20H, KL10H, KL5.5M, (2) KB5 and (4) KT5). I would place the first runner about 4” (10 cm) from the tip top and progressively space the remaining runners between it and the choke. The.choke can be moved in or out a little to get a nice progressive layout. Tape the guides in place and do a two line static test to fine tune the spacing. Go out and test cast to see how it performs . Not that difficult to do and you should get a very nice castings rod.
Norm

Date: February 12, 2020 04:47PM

I'd use 3 KB's on that stout rod.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 12, 2020 08:57PM

Anthony you have just been put on the correct path. Not nearly to heavy a rod for your intent. That's why we have drags on reels.

Date: February 29, 2020 08:50AM

Thanks for the replies. I was originally going to use all KT's for the running train, based on the suggestions I have ordered some KB's.

Thank you, Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster