I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork jig issues
Posted by: Chuck Brezen (70.97.209.---)
Date: February 10, 2020 11:16PM

Hey folks,

Need some help. I have been using the cork jigs from Mudhole and have been having some issues. First, inconsistent slices and cuts. I use the recommended jewelry saw that fits the grooves but it wanders a bit. I end up sanding them on the table top to eventually level them as best I can. Second, on the slicing jig mainly, I’ve begun to get heavy scratches and even small grooves cutting right into the metal. I’m a little frustrated. I love making the custom handles but how do you stop these issues from occurring? Can you relevel the top or grind it down flat again somehow? These aren’t cheap and I’d like to make them work. Also, is there easier ways to cut consistent slices? Do I need different blades? These are so fine toothed and take forever to cut especially if there is any rubber in the ring. You guys are always so helpful! Any feedback would be awesome.

Chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork jig issues
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2020 08:15AM

RodMaker Magazine had an article on this very subject recently.With a few modifications you can greatly improve the jigs accuracy. That back issue will be online within another week or so. William Marchisella wrote it and has done quite a bit of work regarding cork and EVA cutting jigs.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 11, 2020 10:35AM

Hello All.

I have William writing in vol 21 issue 5 page 12 "Barber Pole Grips", vol 21 issue 5 page 18 "EVA Cutting Jig", and vol 22 issue 6 page 14 "Diamond Cutting Jig Improvements".

Is that all of them Tom?

Hope it helps, thanks.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hstntx.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 11, 2020 10:40AM

Chuck,
Not sure if this will help but look at Japanese style saws. This is what I use for precise cuts for grips.
Lance

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2020 11:34AM

The jewelers saw is part of the problem! The blade being a thin wire will wander. I found a great saw with a blade thin enough to fit the jig slots and with a stiff backbone so that it does not wander.

It is a "Gyros brass back razor saw". Model 83-16008 available at Amazon [www.amazon.com]

Another upside is "no more broken blades!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 11:36AM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 11, 2020 01:25PM

Chuck,
Another thing you can do to avoid cutting into the jig, is to inset the jig into a base material of some sort so that the lower part of the jig, up to the bottom of the slot is embedded into the resting material. That way, when you get to the bottom of the slot, you begin to saw the base, rather than the jig.

The stiffed back razor saw is also the ticket for more consistent slicing.

Best wishes

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---)
Date: February 11, 2020 03:28PM

Chuck, It sounds like you're having a problem with the jig that cuts slices to make trim rings. I don't use that jig. I use my eva cutting jig that was featured in Rodmaker magazine. It gives me straight and smooth cuts. There is another saw that might help you get a straighter cut. It's the Zona Universal saw #35=500. It;s a little thicker..How I solve the problem of cutting into the jig is, I stop before the cut is completed and pop it out of the jig and finish it with a utility knife. This prevents cutting into the jig.

Date: February 14, 2020 09:38AM

Thanks for all the answers! I literally spent 2 hours the other day trying to wet sand the groove marks out of my jig! Got most of it out but still frustrated on the scaring. I do get Rodmaker Mag and did read the great article on setting up the jig in the article but I was many concerned with the “slicing” jig. Thanks for the info on the saws mentioned above! My only concern is that they will fit the grooves in the Mudhole jigs? If so, I’m all in!!

Chuck

Date: February 14, 2020 12:11PM

Chuck, If you are still having trouble with the slicing jig after using a different saw, maybe you should try to make my eva cutting jig for slicing eva or cork.The Rodmake has an article on this tool . In that article it shows the tool attached to a Renzetti lathe, but with a little ingenuity it can be made to adapt to any lathe. You will not regret making this tool.

Bill

Date: February 14, 2020 09:38PM

Hey Bill

Is there a way to look back at these older issues to find your jig or the ones that were listed in the above post? I found the excel doc listing of articles and there are SO MANY I’d like to read! I’m pretty handy and made my own cork lathe, cork clamps and multi-thread wrapper so I’m sure I could figure something out.

Chuck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2020 08:19AM

Most issues are still available for sale on the back issue page: [www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Date: February 15, 2020 12:16PM

Chuck, You might want to take a look in the photo gallery. There are a few photos of my eva cutting jig that may give you some ideas where too start. If you need help, please feel free to contact me via email at billsreelworld@aol.com.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster