I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod blanks
Posted by: Brett Mahoney (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2020 09:32PM

I am interested in some peoples opinions on their favorite high end blanks. I build a lot of my offshore rods and have started to build my own inshore rods. However I am more picky about my inshore rods. Over the years I have found that in the production rod world the St. Croix legend series best matches what I look for a in a rod. My most used rod is a 6-12lb rod medium power and fast action (I find St. Croix fast action is faster than most and I like it). What are some specific blanks or just brands you would recommend to me that I would not just want to pick up my legends I already have. I ordered a RODgeeks carbon 4 to see how it feels but want to know what other blanks I should try.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod blanks
Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: February 09, 2020 10:41PM

I built on a Bushido blank and I love it,plan on building more in the future. I also really like the NFC blanks. Rodgeeks seems good as well but I have yet to build on one. The other blanks I have built are rainshadow and MHX. All are good and have their place!!

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: February 10, 2020 09:37AM

The American Tackle Bushido blanks are very nice.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Posted by: Brett Mahoney (129.252.30.---)
Date: February 10, 2020 12:55PM

How do the bushido blanks compare in terms of power and lure weight? I am typically throwing lures under 1/4 oz on rods that are 7', 6-12lb, and a ML to M power. The only blanks I see that are rated for lures under 1/4oz are L power. Would you say that there is just a discrepancy in the rating systems or do they not make a blank that matches that application?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2020 12:59PM by Brett Mahoney.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hstntx.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 10, 2020 03:02PM

The NFC saltwater blanks cast a light lure pretty good, I cast down to a 1/16 oz jig head with a P-703-1 (Lambda LMX) medium light, fast blank. I have found that a 7'6" ML blank will also do it a little better.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 10, 2020 03:21PM

As I have mentioned before, I personally like the Point Blanks. The have very fast actions with plenty of power in the biutt section. Any of these blanks in the ML to M power would work great for what you want. One of my favorite inshore rods is built on the PB731MXF. It is more powerful and faster than the St Croix MF.
Norm

Posted by: Brett Mahoney (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2020 04:11PM

Point blank are one of the ones I am considering just was interested on how they stack up against a bushido that is half the price. Price is not that limiting for this situation as I just want what will give me the best overall feel. I don't want to build a rod thats not up to the standards I am used to and end up not using it.

Right Now I am considering the PB701MF, IMMP70ML, and SJ72/6-12. Unfortunately I don't live where I can get my hands on any of these blanks to feel them out so the internet is where I have to try and figure all this out haha

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2020 04:28PM by Brett Mahoney.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 10, 2020 06:33PM

I have built on all of the blanks you have listed and they are all very nice, and will work extremely well. My favorite is the Point Blank, but that is personal preference and thus just my opinion. Different people have different likes and dislikes. The PB701MF is more powerful than the other two, and is also lighter, Whether or not this justifies the higher cost is debatable. As with everything there is a diminishing return between price and function. This is something you have to figure out for yourself. If you are going to the Expo you can feel and wiggle all of these blanks plus others.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 11, 2020 09:47AM

Brett, ratings are subjective, not objective, for almost all blank manufacturers. You can go nuts trying to correlate between brands. I don't even try any more. However, Point Blank publishes CCS numbers in addition to their subjective ratings. This is a definite advantage when you start taking your own CCS data for all the blanks you build, then can better relate how different blanks perform and what you want to order next to either match what you have built or cover new ground.

I love the Point Blanks I've built. I also think the Bushidos are a good value, but only the magbass Bushidos could be compared to the type of action Point Blanks have. Point Blanks are unique as far as I can tell, when you consider all aspects of their performance. I like the fact that there is no taper in the butt where you will build the seat and grips, too. Contact Anglers REsource (left margin by email) to get guidance on which of their blanks fits what you are trying to do.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: February 11, 2020 12:11PM

On the American tackle blanks, look at the MB and CB lines as well. I throw 1/8-3/8 in the salt for specks, pups, rock, and flounder. I like the MB73/8-15, SJ72/6-12, CB72/6-12 and CB72/8-15 depending on the type of lure. For just lead heads I like the MB and SJ. For lipless and lipped cranks, I like the CB's

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2020 12:16PM by Capt. Craig Freeman.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 13, 2020 03:46PM

Which blanks (if any) do you find work well for plug/spoon casting AND fishing bait off the beach?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster