I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thoughts on fly rod seats - non-recessed
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 09, 2020 08:47AM

I like non-recessed fly seats to match up with other grip styles like cigar or Fenwick type grips at times - but there are not as many of them to pick from as 20 years ago.

Does anyone use size 16 graphite spinning seats in these applications? And any thoughts for an end cap if used up-locking?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on fly rod seats - non-recessed
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 09, 2020 10:17AM

that,s my most favored fly seat..feather-craft fly tying sells a "rubber butt cap" that is a perfect fit over the threads and really holds, no glue...you have to first turn it inside out to put it on..neat how it grabs the threads..

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 09, 2020 04:25PM

Posted by: David Miller (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 09, 2020 06:22PM

You can use cork, rubber or eva foam as a small fighting butt. A wood cabinet pull may even make a great butt cap.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (170.173.0.---)
Date: February 09, 2020 09:31PM

PAC Bay makes a cap BP16B if I remember right, fits right in a 16 without mods. I also use the A7 and A8 fly reel seats for Western/Fenwick and Gordon/Ritz grips, a nice smooth transition to the cork.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2020 06:05AM

Why not a Down Locking Seat? Several companies still sell USA made down lock seats. I probably install a down lock seat on 25% of my "trout" sized fly rod builds, its customer driven option. The ones I use come with a cork check and you can make a nice transition from skeleton to cork.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---)
Date: February 14, 2020 11:44PM

"And any thoughts for an end cap if used up-locking?"

Consider shortening the threaded portion of the reel seat. You don't need any more than what's necessary for fitting your reel with the locking nut fully open or "unscrewed". Then, you can add a short fighting butt/extended bumper directly to the blank. I do this on every fly rod I build.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 16, 2020 01:14PM

The cap I mentioned doesn't care how you orient the reel seat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster