I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TVS-TJK17 Which Way?
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 08, 2020 08:40PM

Building on a Fuji blank PB76MF and am going to use a Fuji TVS-TJK17 Reel Seat. My questions is to others that have used the same reel seat; Which way do you prefer to put them (up locking or down locking) and why. What is most comfortable and feels better for casting? Also have you had issues with the insert being too small, the one that is supposed to fit in it or have I got the wrong one. What is the part number for the insert? The only difference that I can perceive is that one way, the locking nut part is thicker than the other end, so if you have it up locking, the back of your hand and palm is slightly elevated off the rod. Down locking; the angle of your wrist is slightly pushed up. Thanks, I value all your opinions and expert advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TVS-TJK17 Which Way?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 08, 2020 09:40PM

I always build mine down locking, but you can mount it either way, down or up locking. Although I dislike up locking reel seats, because they tend to loosen on me, I actually think the TVS seat feels better when mounted up locking because of its contour. With the back stop lock nut, loosening shouldn’t be an issue.The Fuji insert is the CSTVS17 (decorative insert) or SCSTVS17 (standard insert), you can also use the CFX carbon fiber insert size 17. The Fuji CF inserts requires a shim, the CFX CF insert already has a foam core, and just needs to be reamed to fit the blank. I cut the Fuji insert in half, and it give me two inserts for the price of one. The barrel portion of the reel seat I shim with a polyurethane foam arbor. I have found that when using the hidden thread hood, the threads on the TVS body may need to be trimmed back to a accommodate the sleeve for the hidden thread hood. The threaded portion of the reel seat is extra long and if not cut back the hood with the appropriate mounted sleeve (carbon fiber, or cork) may not tighten all the way. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 09, 2020 12:19PM

I normally prefer up-locking and build a shim just under the diameter of the stationary hood which is on the front. Very comfortable and gets the hand to the blank easily. Have parts on order to do a new spin on a Point Blank blank with Perfect Fit components, will decide what makes sense when I get the parts. I have only one seat, an old metal one, which loosens with use.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 09, 2020 04:37PM

By the way, Anglers Resource shows on their web site that seat mounted uplocking.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hstntx.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 11, 2020 10:33AM

Am leaning to down locking due to the different level from the nut to the grip. Others that are more even from one end to the other I would do it up locking but this particular seat has a strange feel to me up locking.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 11, 2020 11:01AM

If you are leaning toward doing it down locking then you don’t need the locking nut. In my opinion, down locking reel seats don’t loosen during use but up locking seats do. Use the TVSK/ASH hidden thread hood. Could also use the KSKSS hood, or even the KDPS hood. They all fit and don’t use or need a locking nut. You will need to trim the threads back on the seat body. Just screw the hidden thread hood all the way down and cut off any threaded barrel that protrudes.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster