I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: a rod is not a catapult
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 08, 2020 09:21PM

Just go fishing and don't over think it.

I think that the snow and cold is getting to be too long.

Put your rods in a case and head south until you hit the Gulf of Mexico. Hop on a charter boat for a month in the Sea of Cortez and catch lots and lots of fish of all sizes and don't worry about casting distance, or long or short rods, or fly rods or casting rods.

Just head south, put on sun screen, have a wallet full of money and empty it in the next few months fishing and enjoying your self until the weather gets warmer up north.

Enjoy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2020 10:00PM

You're not talking about dropping something - you're talking about propelling something and this means that aerodynamic drag comes into huge play. It's always in play, but much more so in the scenario you mention.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: February 09, 2020 04:47AM

lol ..... ok Phil, you win. Throughout history the Trebuchet is the only type of catapult ever used. And an unloading rod blank won't propel a weight. perched on its tip. As far as my armchair goes ... I need one that's more comfy. I've been experiencing some irritating pain in a certain region of my body of late. I thought it may be my advancing age. Turns out it's something entirely unrelated, and completely within my control. It's one of those a patient goes in to see the doctor and tells the doctor ........"Doc, it hurts when I do this." And the doc replies ..... well stop doing that" It's one of those kind of things .......

Tom, obviously I went with extreme examples by using a fishing weight and a feather. The point is that outside of a vacuum, and you said it yourself, the aerodynamics of the objects and not their weight's, play a role. As you stated, for all practical purposes similar objects will hit the ground at the same time. My apologies. I'm usually far more practical in things like this.

And yes Ben. Galileo was persecuted for his beliefs which later became facts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2020 06:56AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: David Graham (71.71.228.---)
Date: February 09, 2020 06:38AM

The laws of physics has covered all of this for quite some time now.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 09, 2020 08:46AM

Roger, i really liked that vacation you described until you got to the wallet part..lol.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 09, 2020 12:43PM

Ben,
With the thickness of your wallet, I expect that we are only talking chump change!!

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 09, 2020 12:58PM

Ha!

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2020 03:04AM

1. 1/8oz vs 1/2oz has to do with the energy and laws of inertia.
2. The flex of any "arm" weather is a fishing rod, Hockey stick, Bow limb ect adds to the arms tip speed which in turn accelerates the object fast than with a rigid arm. Finding the perfect loaded flex is the key. Professional Hockey players test and have sticks built to their specs. The specs are specific to their strength and how it can flex and load and unload. I just acquired a stick from an NHL pro. Its much stiff than my store bought stick I was using. My strength and stroke speed are unchanged but my puck speed guessing about 1/3 less with the stiffer stick. This is bc Im not strong enough to flex the custom built stick to take advantage of the stored power. This is the same thing that happening with a fishing rod. Both are a swinging arm that is loaded and unloaded releasing the loaded ENERGY.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 13, 2020 10:22AM

If your puck speed (energy) is reduced by a third what becomes of this "lost" energy - where does it go? And why don't baseball players use whippy bats to add energy and distance to their hits?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2020 11:29AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 12:12PM

Baseball players cant bc there are very stringent rules their bats have to conform to but what they do is flex into the barrel rather than flex like our rods or hockey sticks. They are regulated on how much the barrel can flex inward like a dent and many bats are outlawed for play in softball and college baseball. MLB baseball is regulated to a wood bat bc its not able to transfer energy like a aluminum or composite bat. With a better material bat they would hit it out of the park every time. The energy of the stiff hockey stick is lost through body motion rather than being transferred into the stick and released. If you watch a proper slap shot in slow motion they actually hit the ice first to get the stick to flex and load energy then as it moves into the puck the stored energy in the stick releases into the puck. I recall as my son was learning to cast as we all did. He could whip that rod as hard as he wanted and it would load up great but without the perfect timing of releasing the line all the energy is lost. Where is this topic even going anymore. Isnt there any engineers that can chime in with real data.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster