I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Storage Bag Source
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2020 04:16PM

Building a couple travel rods. Plan to leave them in the truck. With make a pvc case for them. To keep them from rattling around I want a rod bag. Looking for a source. Trouble is I can only find them for fly rods. I am building two, four piece 6 foot spin rods with a size 16 match guide. Obviously a fly rod bag won't accommodate that. Also most bags are longer than I need. The extra length I can deal with but the rod needs to fit in the bag. Ideally I would like to find somewhere I can order to my specs. But will settle for anything that will meet my needs. Appreciate any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Storage Bag Source
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.201.---)
Date: February 07, 2020 05:13PM

Contact Angler’s Workshop. I got one there for a 7’ two piece spinning rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 07, 2020 07:24PM

[www.amazon.com]

These mesh socks work very very well and are easy to pack. There are many different sources for the mesh socks.

Take care

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 07, 2020 07:55PM

The trick is to find some who sews in your area, design it yourself, provide the fabric, and have them sew it. Hardest part is finding that person.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2020 09:42PM

It's not a bag, but in my travel tube I purchased a couple of yards of fleece blanket material. I take the rods apart and wrap each piece in the fleece until all pieces are covered. Since my travel tube is fairly large, the fleece is longer than the tube. I fold over the ends and put a wrap of double sided velcro on both ends and one in the middle. I've also used rubber bands as well. Maybe it'll give you some other ideas.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2020 11:24PM

I've always use this company....never a complaint.
[www.classicflyfisherman.com]

Date: February 08, 2020 01:41AM

Over the years I have made a lot of rod socks of various materials.

However, I have come to the conclusion, that the mesh chinese finger puzzle style tubes really work better than anything else.

They expand to the size that you need to load the rod, the inside surface of the material allows for easy insertion and removal when required. When not being use, the tubes roll up into a compact easy to store circle.

The best part is that there is no sewing required. Just cut to length, being very generous in your measurements. Use a flame to seal the ends and you will be good to go.

Best wishes

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2020 04:28AM

I was looking at the mesh. Was wondering about finishing the edges. That question is answered, thanks. Would still prefer a one piece setup though with some more padding. Rod is going to live in my truck. Which at times gets pounded a fair amount. The PVC tube for the rod is going to have a lot of space to accommodate the 16 match guide on the one section. The other sections are going really going to be bouncing around. Looking like just wrapping them in some fleece might be the way to go.

Date: February 08, 2020 10:56AM

Michael,
Pool Noodles:

Take a few pool noodle and cut off 2 inch side slices. Then, take one slice from one side to the center.

When it comes time to store the rods just slip a pool noodle section over each end and slip the assembly into the pvc tube. The rod will never touch the pvc pipe yet, be able to remove as needed:

Or, you can do the same thing with foam pipe insulation. Select the size pipe that wold be appropriate for your rods and pvc tube, take a sharp knife to slice off pieces and you will be good to go.

[www.walmart.com]

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster