I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Adhesive Substitute
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: February 07, 2020 03:57PM

Anyone using an adhesive other than an epoxy to bond grips and reel seats to blanks? I've developed an allergy to epoxy resin, I dare not use it again, but have no experience with anything else.

The plan is to finish wraps with long oil, spar varnish. But I'm stumped as to what might be viable epoxy adhesive substitutes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Adhesive Substitute
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2020 04:19PM

I have not used it for rodbuilding but gorilla glue might work. I have used for other things and it is some real tough stuff. Is indoor outdoor rated and waterproof.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: February 07, 2020 05:42PM

Check out Animal glue (animal hyde) it was the go to glue before Epoxies.

John

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 07, 2020 05:50PM

Gorilla glue will do the job, but it does tend to expand out creating a mess that has to be handled immediately and repeatedly. most like the solution is mentioned above. Some use carpentry glue for ring to ring on cork, maybe it bonds to seats well too? I expect you're going to get more help here.

Date: February 07, 2020 06:01PM

Thanks guys.

I've used TiteBond III to glue up cork rings off the blank and it works very well for that purpose.

Maybe Pliobond - I'll need to get its data sheet and check its chemical composition.

Thought about the urethanes including Gorilla Glue. I'm not a fan but it might be preferable to not building rods anymore.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 07, 2020 06:15PM

Donald,
Try this but make sure it has not expired at the store before you purchase. It is a polyether silane based product without the phthalates and isocyanates. Not sure if it will give you an allergic reaction but I don't believe it has bisphenol A diglycidyl ether like epoxy resins. I know it has an excellent bond and is waterproof but it is white in color so it may not be good for putting cork rings or EVA together because the white will show between the pieces put together. It will bond them for sure. The problem with Gorilla glue is that when it reacts to the moister in the air it keeps expanding and turns to foam even after you have wiped it off , a few minutes later (10) and it will be foaming out of the cracks again. It makes a mess. This marine adhesive that I recommend also reacts to the moister in the air but does not expand.

[www.homedepot.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 07, 2020 06:38PM

Donald,
If you always use latex or rubber gloves and use a full rebreathing air supply do you have an allergic reaction to Epoxy?

Also, do you have a window in your shop that can vent your shop.

I also have a lot of allergies and for the most allergic sensitive chemicals, I use a fan to blow across the work bench to insure that I am not breathing any chemical fumes and I wear rubber gloves any time that I am working with the allergic sensitive substances.

For myself, this has proved to be effective and allows me to use sensitized chemicals and adhesives without receiving an allergic reaction.

A common chemical to be allergic to is the Hardener used in the adhesive.

When doing another type of work, I used epoxy paint. I became violently allergic to the hardener. However, I was able to continue using the paint by only painting out of doors with a slight cross wind blowing. And always using a rebreathing mask to avoid inhaling any of the fumes.

Two important things to do, when allergic to an adhesive or chemical but would still like to use it.

1. Full skin protection by wearing long sleeved shirts, long rubber gloves.
2. Avoid inhaling any fumes by cross ventilating the work area to an outside exit as well as wear full mask and rebreathing to avoid accidentally inhaling any of the fumes.

Here is an example of a full face respirator mask with an organic filter to inhibit the inhaling of fumes:

[www.amazon.com]

This mask may be effective enough to resolve your allergy issue:
[www.amazon.com]

You would have to try it and test it to find out if it was effective enough for your particular issue.

[paintsprayerjudge.com]

Date: February 07, 2020 10:06PM

Thanks Lance. I've used Loctite products before and they are as advertised.

And thanks Roger, but my issue thus far is contact allergic dermatitis, and yes, wearing protective gloves would have perhaps delayed or prevented the problem. As best the doctors and I can make it out, thinning finish epoxy with acetone (I had been making multiple rods with invisible wraps) pushed me over an edge. Even though the amount of thinned epoxy on my fingers was very small, the acetone helped the uncured resin (PBA) get into my skin. And after 20+ years of multiple little bits of exposure the dance is over.

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---)
Date: February 07, 2020 10:19PM

Gorilla Glue also markets a non foaming clear glue. Says it will bond almost anything. I have used it on several projects, and it does bond extremely well.

I have not used it on cork as of yet, but shortly I believe I will try on a new rod for myself. I expect it will perform flawlessly.

Also please READ the precautions listed on the back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 10:21PM by Mark Mulanax.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: February 08, 2020 12:17AM

Be careful with Pliobond it is a contact cement. Once the parts are in place it better be right because there is no second chance. It is great for bonding cork and EVA.

You may want to try Invisible gloves and then protective gloves over that. The double layer may help.

[www.autobarn.net]

There are other places to get it.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 12:25AM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 08, 2020 01:52AM

Donald,

Your health is the only thing you have. i.e. you only have one chance at having a healthy body. Although tough to say, maybe it is time to give this vocation a rest and do something else.

I just had cataract surgery in both of my eyes. I found, much to my dismay that I was severely allergic to the medicine in the form of the eye drops following surgery.

After consulting with Dr.s, my meds were adjusted and I had slightly better results. However, when i had the 2nd eye done, after 5 days of drops, I had another allergic reaction. So, the Dr.s took me off the drops and suggest that I just go with Artificial tears with no further medication. Fortunately all is working out.

So, if the medical advice is to stay way from these components and or chemicals, please follow their advice.

One never knows what they have until they lose it. In this case, it is your health. No manner of money, profit or pleasure from making rods can ever make up for lost health.

Best wishes.

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: February 08, 2020 08:06AM

I did a lot of rods a few years ago with gorilla glue did not have any problem with it holding reel seat or eva didn't try it on cork. Yes when it expands it will come out of every little hole .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 09, 2020 05:29PM

I have used cascophen resin to laminate bow staves when building stick -bows. Cascophen is waterproof and plenty strong. I don't know about its allergic properties

Posted by: William Giokas (---)
Date: February 12, 2020 12:50PM

I use 30 minute epoxy to bond my cork grip and reel seat to the blank. I have never had any issues with this method. Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster