I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crankbait Rod Blank comparison
Posted by: Jason Hull (---)
Date: February 04, 2020 09:21AM

Hey all,

I have only built a few rods and they have been on CRB or MHX blanks from Mudhole so I'm trying to branch out a little and see what some other companies blanks are like. I'm looking to build a shallow Crankbait rod and have basically landed on either the Rainshadow Judge (JDGCB70M-CG) or the RodGeeks Bass 4 Series (B473MM).

The Judge blank is a 7'0" blank with similar specs except the butt is .665 inches and weighs in at 2.5oz vs the RodGeeks 7'3" with .434 inch butt and 1.7oz.

Are these differences due to the fact that the RodGeeks blank is a strictly carbon fiber blank while the Judge blank is a composite glass/graphite blank or is it more because of the MH power of the Judge vs. M on the RodGeeks?

Are there any real gotchas for building on different materials or is the only real difference the functionality and performance of the finished product?

Any reviews from builds you have done on either blank is also greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crankbait Rod Blank comparison
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: February 04, 2020 11:51AM

Great question, could be the additional material in the glass/graphite that is the added weight.. Honestly not sure, but I am assuming you will get some great answers. I built my shallow cranking rod on a Bushido CB series of blanks. Heard a lot of good things about the Judge, but it is a thicker blank than the RodGeeks option.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2020 04:03PM

Jason it looks like your are comparing apples to oranges on this. Are you wanting a 7ft or a 7'3" rod and what power medium or Medium Heavy? I think you are on the right track with the Rodgeeks and if graphite is your choice by all means go for the Bass 4

However, Rodgeeks makes one of the best S Glass rods I have ever built and I have over twenty of them out there getting the job done. These brutes have carbon fiber in the base and the moderate fiberglass blend in the tips. The SG70MHM is powerhouse if your throwing bigger cranks or even chatterbaits this is the rod to have. The weight is on the base not the tip. The SG70MM is light as all get out and is my choice for smaller crankbaits like the square bills and One minus ,size baits. Another point is that these rods are almost HALF the price of the Carbon 4 rods.

Good luck in your new adventure

Tom

Posted by: Jason Hull (---)
Date: February 04, 2020 06:05PM

Tom,

I'm really sorry for the mistype....both blanks are medium power but the Judge blank is moderate fast action and the Bass 4 series rod is a moderate action blank. I was just curious if the materials used to make the blank would be the main cause of the shorter blank to be so much heavier than the longer one or if the ACTION (not power) could actually have that big of an impact.

To answer your question though, I do want (need?) to build a medium and a medium-heavy crankbait rod so half-priced glass blanks are the best thing I've heard all day. haha!

Posted by: David Graham (71.71.228.---)
Date: February 04, 2020 07:06PM

The heavier blank may have the same action, but that action might not continue further down the blank as far as the lighter rod. Stiffer back bone. Probably better suited for throwing heavier baits or non-treble baits.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 04, 2020 09:57PM

you,ll like how glass fights a fish and if you use braided line you,ll still have most of the sensitivity of a graphite rod..

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 04, 2020 10:33PM

The American Tackle Bushido CB 72/6-12 and the Bushido CB72/8-15 are both excellent crank bait blanks. Both are Mod Fast, Medium power blanks with great feel. The CB72/6-12 is a favorite for smaller cranks, used for Smallmouth, with a soft easy flex that tricks the Smallies into staying pinned, while loading well to bring the fish to the boat. The CB72/6-12 comes in at a touch over 1.5oz. While the CB78/8-15 comes in at 1.7oz. Check them out.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: February 07, 2020 11:17AM

I know you didn't mention it, but the American Tackle Bushido CB72 8-15 is a great crankin blank. Very light and sensitive. I have made several for customers and use them regularly with clients.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster