I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drift blank for Chinook
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: February 02, 2020 09:47PM

Any thoughts on this one? Looking to build a rod for Chinook fishing around Or/Wa. I've looked at Lami......they seem well priced, but not sure what blanks would be ideal. Any other ideas on blanks for drift fishing for Chinook from other MFGs?
Best,
-Derick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drift blank for Chinook
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 03, 2020 10:38AM

How much weight will you be using and will you be using circle hooks or J hooks?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 03, 2020 11:22AM

Derick,
If you want to use a Lamiglas blank, just call Lamiglas and they will tell you the number of the appropriate blank for your needs.

[www.lamiglas.com]

[www.lamiglas.com]

[www.lamiglas.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2020 11:26AM by roger wilson.

Date: February 03, 2020 11:36AM

Octopus hooks for drifting eggs/cookies. I'll be getting in touch with Lami today, but am curious of other options as well.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 03, 2020 12:28PM

A few different options with our RainShadow blanks that we use.
RX8 XST1324 or XST1264 - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
RX7 IST1204 - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
RX4 BP1144 or BP1264 - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: February 03, 2020 06:33PM

In rivers where "chuck and duck" casting for salmon is the norm I would recommend the most durable, rugged blank I could find, short of solid glass.

Date: February 03, 2020 08:28PM

What would qualify as a durable drift rod? Do they make compositions blanks that fit the bill?

Date: February 04, 2020 10:32AM

One size [or rod] does not fit all. A solid glass blank would be most durable but you would surrender sensitivity and casting ability. A fiber glass blank would surrender some durability but cast better. A thick-walled slow taper graphite blank would probably cast even better but sacrifice some durability. Every choice involves some compromise, and only the user knows what compromise is acceptable.

Date: February 04, 2020 01:12PM

Oh I get that. But in a world where you cant really handle these blanks, it is hard to know where to start.

Date: February 04, 2020 04:32PM

I agree, and people selling rods are not necessarily informed or helpful. A look-around and ask around of anglers who appear to be successful/competent where you fish would probably provide you the best advice.

Date: February 08, 2020 06:57PM

All,
I've settled on a blank, now for guides. What do you all usually use for guides? Light duty double foots? Single foots? This will be a casting layout.
Much thanks,

Date: February 08, 2020 07:22PM

Drift rod guides*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster