I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide placement
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: February 02, 2020 05:20PM

I have always been told that you do not place a guide right on the Ferrell. I have noticed on other forums that some build with single foot guides, and the guide is right on the Ferrell with ring of the guide actually extending past the female end of the Ferrell. I am now wondering if what I have been doing is wrong? I always move the guides off the Ferrell, and make adjustments in the rest of the guides to compensate.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide placement
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 02, 2020 05:41PM

I see no reason after making many fly rods that have the guide on the ferrule that combining the reinforcing wrap with a guide wrap is a problem. If it bothers you just move the guide and others slightly to get it off the ferrule. A slight move won't affect anything..

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2020 11:39PM

I agree with Michael, no reason not to put them on or near a ferrule, I do it a lot.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 03, 2020 10:35AM

Mike,
I am not sure what you mean by "ring of the guide actually extending past the female end of the Ferrell". I will wrap up to where the foot of the guide is near the edge of the female ferrule or at least next to the ferrule reinforcement wrap but I won't hang the ring over that. Also you need to be careful on guide placement near the male end of the ferrule, that is where I will adjust the spacing if I am too close to the female ferrule end when it is put together. Over time the female ferrule will slide down a little bit more over the male and I don't want it to contact any wraps that are too close if that happens.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 03, 2020 02:06PM

Mike,
Through a novice’s eye, Placing a guide on a ferrule would save a bit of weight and be a good thing = killing two birds with one stone.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: February 03, 2020 06:06PM

I started building on Fenwick glass blanks, and when the first Graphite blanks came out I built on the blanks made by Gary Loomis ( I can't remember the 3 letter name of the company he had back then), Winston, and Sage. I built some lamaglass blanks as well. I just talked to one of the Batson's, and he said the technology in the blanks has come a long way since then, and there is no reason not to put a guide on the Ferrell. He did say that he would be more concerned with having a guide about an inch in front of the Ferrell, or close to the male end of the Ferrell. My information might have been right 30 years ago, but not now. Thanks for the replies to my question.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster