I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: rod balance
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: February 03, 2020 04:56PM

Roger

I agree, that simplifies the choices for a acceptable solution.

Thanks

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 04, 2020 04:26PM

I have always wondered what benefits occur by "balancing" a rod [or even how to tell if and when my rod is balanced] without consideration of how much weight the rod will be casting? Maybe a previous post on this site explained this?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 04, 2020 05:54PM

Phil, previous posts have indeed discussed this and if I'm not mistaken you've taken part in a few.

Date: February 04, 2020 07:28PM

Lynn - You are correct, I have asked about rod balance before, but I am a slow learner. I'm not even sure yet whether or not the balance point is determined while the line is run through the guide train while a typical casting weight [or no weight] is attached to the end of the line, or even if the balance point is determined with a reel attached? For a two-handed rod should the balance point lie behind, under, or in front of the top hand gripping the rod handle? I have no prejudices about the rod balance issue - only unanswered questions.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 05, 2020 10:30AM

My simple answer to balance is this.

With a rod that has a reel on it filled with line - resting in the hand - does the rod stay level when it is being held with an open palm. If not, it is not balanced.

When lure or weight is on the tip of the rod, it will be tip heavy. If a hand is holding the butt of the rod, it will be tip heavy. If a person is holding the rod in the middle of the blank it will be butt heavy.

So, place your rod and reel in your open hand in the position where you normally fish with the rod. If it stays level, it is balanced. At least that is my definition of rod balance.

Take care

Date: February 05, 2020 05:36PM

Phil, from my perspective, the lure would be on the bottom of the lake and be lightly hopped or crawled back to the fisher-person while trying to feel the bottom. (bottom contact baits) This operation is less fatiguing if you don't have to fight the weight of the blank and guides ahead of the reel. I only balance casting rods used for these techniques. I try to achieve a tip neutral attitude with the reel in place. Hope this helps. Hi David, hope your'e watching! For me this topic only applies to bass rods or similar.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2020 05:45PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: February 05, 2020 06:32PM

I think I got it. For display purposes to find the balance point you move your grasp up and down the blank but with with no lure or weight suspended and no weight or load on the rod tip. When the rod remains horizontal you have the balance point. For fishing purposes you put a weight equivalent to the weight of a lure or a fishing weight and suspend it from the rod tip, then move your hand up and down the blank until the rod remains horizontal - you have found the balance point.

Date: February 05, 2020 06:50PM

Phil, read it again. What do I need the weight for?

Date: February 05, 2020 10:09PM

Lynn,
You are correct.
You want the rod to be neutral in balance when you have no weight on the tip and no extra weight anywhere else.

The fatigue that comes from a tip heavy rod is when you are fishing long hours bottom hopping a jig or lure on a semi slack line with no weight from the jig, weight or lure adding to the weight of the rod.

i..e you want to hold the rod in your normal fishing rod hold and with nothing on the end of the rod like extra weight or a lure - have the rod rest level.

Take care

Date: February 06, 2020 10:50AM

Lynn: As I understand it you need the weight to balance the rod by imitating the rod while it is in use, not to balance it while you aren't fishing. I'm confused because all fishing rods become class-one levers in use: the casting hand becomes the fulcrum of the lever no matter where you grip the rod - except for fly rods which are class three levers. I'm clueless about the leverage of a two-handed cast or how to determine the fulcrum - "Balance point" - of a two handed rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 11:08AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: February 06, 2020 11:07AM

Phil,
You are balancing the rod while you are using it. As soon as you cast, there is no weight from a lure on the end of the rod, so it makes no sense to balance the rod with any weight from a jig or weight on the end of the rod tip.

Best Wishes

Date: February 06, 2020 02:26PM

Now I get it: The rod needs to be balanced AFTER you cast, while you are "using it" reeling in or waiting for a bite - but I'm still not sure how to do this?

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: February 06, 2020 05:51PM

Hi Lynn ....... yes, I'm watching, and you're doing a bang up job !! lol

And Phil, you got it........ and to be sure of how you do this, just go back and read this thread over again. Or read any of the other threads that deal with rod and reel balance. There's a bunch of them.

Date: February 06, 2020 07:40PM

Also I would like to know how the "Spine" [AKA "spline"] of the rod interacts with its balance.

Date: February 06, 2020 08:48PM

To the best of my knowledge it has no discernible effect.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster