I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

crush strength of handle cork
Posted by: Don Baker (---.omah.qwest.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 05:57PM

I'm building catfish rods to be used in Monster rod holders to fish for Blue Catfish. I''ll be building on Rodgeeks 802 and 803 X-Comps. At the pressure points of the rod holders the blank OD's will be between .600 and .650". The Revo Toro Beast reels I use are usually drag set between 15 and 20 lbs. I've allways built on Seeker blanks, (which are very nice} that have a much larger butt OD, so I reinforced the pressure points with rubberized cork. I'd like to get away from the rubberized product and go with all natural cork or all burl cork. I plan on turning the cork in the middle of the grip down to 1.200 OD. Will the cork be strong enough to handle the hard takedowns of big Blues and not deform or be damaged. If any of you have experience with similar setups I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: crush strength of handle cork
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2020 07:12PM

That really depends on the amount of contact area between the rod holder and cork. If the holder is such that you have contact with the cork over a wide area, it'll most likely be okay. If there is only a single point of contact, and a narrow one at that, then maybe not.

There are ways around this, of course, such as putting a harder composite type cork at the point where contact is made with the rod holder.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 31, 2020 07:36PM

Don,
If you are going to be using the rods in a rod holder, forget the natural cork and go with either EVA, Hapalon, or all rubberized cork. On a rod like this, weight is not a big deal. So, just go with the tougher materials.

Date: January 31, 2020 07:44PM

The contact points are narrow , only contacts one ring in two places ,the first ring behind the handle and another approximately 6" down the handle. I've put rubberized cork in those positions with the large butt Seeker blanks, but on the builds with the smaller diameter Rodgeeks X-Comp blanks I would like to only use natural cork or burl cork which I think would result in a cleaner nicer looking build with the Alps aluminum trigger reel seats I willl be using. I just dont want to have to rebuild later, Appreciate the input.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 31, 2020 11:04PM

Don,
Form should always follow function! I agree with Tom and Roger although I personally do not care for EVA-type grips. If you are @#$%&-bent on the look of natural cork (me too), consider clear heat shrink tubing at the pressure-points from the rod holder on the grip. I have employed such on the very end of cork grips to avoid damage to the butt of the cork when set down with the rod vertical. What do you think?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 31, 2020 11:30PM

I have heat shrink, but Im not too fond of it. I'll probably go with natural cork or burl matched with a 2 1/2 ' rubberized cork insert in the center of grip ( works with rod in either 33 or 45 degree position)and 1" right behind handle. This is what I've done many times and it works great, I just would like to get away from the rubberized product. I have several different colors but I'm having trouble finding a combination I like with a cobalt blue reel seat. I'll figure something out. Thanks again

Date: February 01, 2020 07:21AM

Don,
As you well know, when a rod is put into a rod holder and out of a rod holder, the entire grip tends to get abraded from the in and out of the rod holder.

Your choice on the use of grip material.

Take care

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 01, 2020 01:10PM

A graphite tube rear grip will cure the problem and come out of any rod holder slick as can be, just about the standard for boat rods fishing salmon, or steelhead anymore. Clean up a bunch easier than cork, bait goo, fish scales, etc. comes right off and looks new longer.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 01, 2020 03:10PM

Here is what Spencer is talking about.
[www.mudhole.com]
Plenty strong and very light.
Norm

Date: February 01, 2020 06:20PM

The graphite tubing is definitely an option, I like the look of some type of cork normally, but even if I used a 2 1/2 inch section in the middle of tne grip where it contacts the Monster rod holder and did the rest in some type of cork it might be worth a look. The tubing highlighted with blue should be a good match with the cobalt blue Alps aluminum reel seat. Thanks again to all

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: February 02, 2020 11:08AM

Why not incorporate a decorative ring at the pressure points. I would think a thin piece of walnut or aluminium strategically placed on the handle would be attractive and functionl!

Date: February 02, 2020 01:20PM

I agree, I've been looking at wood.

Date: February 02, 2020 05:03PM

Put in a two inch long piece of maple or walnut. A nice hardwood like that would not crush and would not get maraked from a rod holder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster