I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod finish and why you like it.
Posted by: William Giokas (---)
Date: January 31, 2020 02:13PM

So, I have been using Flex Coat for all my rod projects. Please explain your finish of choice and why you like it. Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod finish and why you like it.
Posted by: David Graham (71.71.228.---)
Date: January 31, 2020 02:54PM

Flex coat UV and threadmaster high build. Flex coat if I'm building for someone else. High build if it's for me. Both produce a great finish, but I can get it done in 1 coat with high build and I don't care if it's isn't perfect.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 04:53PM

Do a search. This same question has been asked a number of times.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 06:41PM

Thanks Phil!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 08:43PM

The cow that kicks the least is the one you'll end up milking.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 31, 2020 11:22PM

William,
Please excuse my compadres’ SEEMINGLY lack of interest but this question is probably asked more than any other with the possible exception of, “what’s the best guide placement”. Allow me to offer that ALL present thread finish epoxies are excellent and are simply variations on the same theme; the best one is determined by which one works best for you. We cannot help you simply because we all have different desires and expectations. Trial and error is the conclusive remedy.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: February 01, 2020 12:41AM

No one should be making excuses for us, or accusing us of a lack of interest! When seeing the the same question asked numerous times, and referring one to previous posts so that they may see a large number of informative responses.

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: February 01, 2020 09:38AM

William I use flex coat on a lot of my rods for party boat rentals it works great now for trolling rods and other custom builds I now use classic pro-flex rod coat this is the old ( af-cote epoxy ) why because it has extended work time and stay flexible after it cures. but with this I need to keep the dryer running longer .they all work .

William this is a good question yes it has been asked before but there might be other opinions out there and no one has to reply .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 01, 2020 10:48AM

Flex Coat Lite because I usually need two coats in order to fix problems with the first (thread nibs, bubble, etc) and Lite doesn't build too thick with two coats.

Date: February 01, 2020 04:41PM

Phil,
Boy, you certainly took my post 180* the wrong way! Please read again and note the capitalized “SEEMINGLY”. Sorry for any confusion.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 01, 2020 05:40PM

William, click my name, click show all posts, pages 5,7,8,11 and many more contain finish discussions.

Date: February 01, 2020 05:49PM

Mark, I did misinterpret your meaning, confused by asking for him to excuse us. I never thought it was meant as criticism.

We are still good!

Date: February 02, 2020 03:11PM

Phil,
Whew, I feel better now.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: February 02, 2020 07:27PM

I like Thread master lite because it's the first one I ever used and it broke so why try to fix it ?

Date: February 02, 2020 11:42PM

I have used most of them, they all work well. I especially like the working time of Threadmaster, both regular and Lite. The CTS Crustal Coat gives me the very best in appearance, but due to the very long cure time a heated curing cabinet is a must.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster