I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7wt Bonefish Build
Posted by: Christopher Zucker (170.171.1.---)
Date: January 30, 2020 01:51PM

I'm just beginning to get my components together for a 7wt bonefish fly rod. I have a CTS Affinity-X on the way and I'm planning on ordering guides and a reel seat soon. In my reading about guide size, I notice a lot of folks saying to stick to 3 or so sizes total. For single foot guides, does something like this make sense:

Single foot #5 x 7
Single foot #6 x 1
Stripping guide #12 x 1
Stripping guide #16 x 1

Also, what size tip top would be appropriate?

Thanks,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7wt Bonefish Build
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2020 02:14PM

Your train will work, however if it was my build, I would go with size #4 & #5 rather then the 5 & 6. For the tip top, a large loop.

Date: January 30, 2020 02:34PM

Thanks Phil. I was just going by the advice on the Sage guide spacing page to go 2 sizes up for single foot guides.

You're suggesting: 4-4-4-4-4-4-4-5-12-16?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2020 03:11PM

Christopher, that is correct. In fact I have built a number of Bonefish rods with that train, including one I fish.

Date: January 30, 2020 03:30PM

Excellent. Thanks, Phil. When I'm done I'm taking it down to Ascension Bay. I'll let you know how it goes.

Best,
Chris

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 30, 2020 04:56PM

Phil, same for an 8?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 01:58PM

Hey Chris,
Please send me your email address at: hladen@hotmail.com

What Phil said re guides and tip-top loop - assuming you're going to use REC s/f Recoil g8ides and tip-top
Herb
U.S. Distrrib. CTS Rod Blanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster