I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions for a loose ferrule?
Posted by: George Sparrow (---)
Date: January 29, 2020 05:40PM

Hi, I have an old family fly rod I'd like to back in service. The female side of the ferrule slides up and down about 1/16 of an inch when you cast and will also wiggle a little around the blank. The male end still fits tight.

So is it possible to just rewrap the female ferrule and epoxy it to remove the movement or would it be better to try to remove and replace it with one that has the same inside diameter?

Thanks in advance,
George

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions for a loose ferrule?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2020 05:53PM

Is this a bamboo rod? If not is it that has a separate ferrule?

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 29, 2020 06:02PM

George,
If the female ferrule is that loose on the blank, it should not take too much to remove it, clean the bore and blank, apply new ferrule (tip top) hot-melt adhesive and remount. Simply rewrapping the outside while the inside is not properly affixed to the blank will certainly result in failure, probably in short accord. Ferrules require extremely close tolerances and it is doubtful you would find an appropriate, mating half. That is why they are sold in matching pairs. I am interested in what other have to say.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 29, 2020 06:06PM

What kind of ferrule is it; metal, spigot, or tip over butt? I’m assuming it’s a metal ferrule. If so, heat the female section and remove it. Then glue it back in place on the blank. You can use 5 min epoxy or tip top cement. I prefer the tip top cement, back in the day it was also called ferrule cement. If it’s not a metal ferrule let us know there are other ways to fix loose spigot and tip over butt ferrules. These repairs for the most part are easily to do.

Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2020 06:07PM

If you have a metal ferrule, it is likely worn to the point that looseness is the result. You have two viable options.

1. Remove and replace with a new ferrule.

2. Dull the cutting edge on a tube cutting tool and roll it around the female ferrule near the top and then near the bottom. This will lightly "crush" the ferrule at two points and effectively restore the fit for awhile longer.

Date: January 29, 2020 07:58PM

From George’s description, I take it that the fit between the male and female halves is good; it is the female half which has become loose from the blank. As Norman, I am assuming this is a metal ferrule

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: George Sparrow (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2020 10:31PM

Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's a little more info:

- It is an old fiberglass 7' fly rod from probably the mid to late 80's.
- Below are links to two pics. (I couldn't see how to embed pics)
- The first pic shows one side that seems to have a single pin. The second pic shows the other side which as two elongated indentions. As first I thought the two elongated indentions were just crimp marks but they seem to have a slightly different piece of metal across the bottom of the indention almost as if there are some type of elongated pins similar to the single pin indention on the other side.

Point is that it's going to take more than heat I think to get these pins to release. Any experience with how to get this type of ferrule off in a way that I can reseat/reuse it?

@Mark - you are correct. The female half is just loose from the blank but still seats firmly with the male portion on the other half of the rod.

[photos.app.goo.gl]
[photos.app.goo.gl]

Thanks for the help! This will make a great small stream rod for me, with some family history, if I can get this ferrule tight on the blank again.

Best,
George

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2020 01:27AM

I have seen pinned ferrules before, but the crimp on the opposite side I have not seen. Can you remove the pin? If so, the ferrule may just pull off and you may be able to glue it back in place if there is not much damage. If there is some damage it will be close to the cut end of the blank and you maybe able to trim the end back to remove the damage and reinstall the ferrule over the trimmed end. The ID of metal ferrules are usually a little oversized so even trimming the blank back a 1/2” or so the ferrule may still fit and can be glued in place, sans the pin. If it doesn’t fit completely just sand the end of the blank a little to get a good fit. Or insert a drill bit that fits snuggly into the end of the ferrule that fits over the blank and turn it by hand to remove a very thin layer of metal to get it to fit. Probably just need to remove a fraction of a millimeter either way to get a good fit. Those old E glass blanks are pretty tough and are not very prone to splitting. One of the reasons the ferrule was pinned, they even use to pin the reel seats in place. So if you can get the ferrule off you can probably repair it using the same ferrule. At the very worst you could cut the both ferrule section off and replace with an appropriately sized new ferrule.
Norm

Date: January 30, 2020 02:24PM

A quick solution if the ferrule is not sloppy loose, is to run some Super glue down into the ferrule.

Date: January 30, 2020 02:31PM

George,
With only 5 years of experience, I have not encountered metal ferrules which were pinned such as our resident guru, Norman, has and graciously offered his insight and suggestions. As usual, I agree with all of Norman’s suggestions (who has the right to argue with a guru) LOL?
The photos are a bit fuzzy to attempt to see exactly what is going on. If there was only one elongated slot/hole, I could imagine it was intended for the shaft of a headed pin, inserted from the other side with the round hole, to be cut and bent down into the elongated slot. That bent over piece could appear as if it were an “elongated pin” as you mentioned. Are there “elongated pins” in both slots? See if the round hole lines-up with the end of one of the slots and then use the sharp point of a scriber, or suitable other, to get under the end of the “elongated pin” (hopefully bent-over wire) that is NOT lined-up, bend it up to 90* from the blank and push/tap it through the blank and out the round hole on the opposite side. Hopefully, the female ferrule can then be easily persuaded off the blank.
Although holes produce perfect stress-risers, with as close as it is the end of the blank section, I do not anticipate it causing reason for concern. However, it may be a good idea to fill the holes on both sides of the blank with a paste epoxy so that after the ferrule is eventually remounted with tip top adhesive, the hole and slots can be sealed with a quick application of the same paste epoxy that will not wick down into the ferrule-to-blank joint. I am certain the tip top adhesive will be more than adequate to secure the ferrule without the need to be additionally pinned.
Please keep us, at least me, posted with your progress; I am very interested. Good luck!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 30, 2020 03:47PM

Looks more like a form of "Crimp" To me. I would do as Phil suggested using Thin or Med CA {A quick solution if the ferrule is not sloppy loose, is to run some Super glue down into the ferrule}

Date: January 30, 2020 05:57PM

Phil’s suggestion and Jay’s endorsement may certainly be a “quick solution” to your ferrule issue but may burn a bridge behind you on the path to repairing the problem properly and permanently. It is unknown what type of adhesive (if any) was originally used, the compatibility of CA with such, and CA is unsatisfactory used as a gap-filler. It would also be more difficult to remove in the future, near or far. Just a thought for consideration.

Mark Talmo

Date: January 30, 2020 05:59PM

There are gap filling CA's.

Posted by: George Sparrow (---)
Date: January 31, 2020 12:59PM

@Everyone - Thanks much for the all the helpful info and advice.

@Norman - great to know they used to pin reel seats on rods like this cause I need to replace that too.

@Mark - nice explanation of what's likely going on between the pin whole and the two slot indentions on the other side. I was thinking of taking a Dremel to just cut it but hopefully won't have to do that now.

@Phil - good to know about filler super glue. Do you have a brand you use? I'm all about quick fixes to get back on the water as quickly as possible.

Due to you alls help, and after examining the reel seat, I can see that this needs to be more than just fixing the loose ferrule. Since the scope has expanded I'm going to put this project on hold for a moment and will likely start a new project post once I get back to it.

Thanks for sharing your expertise as I would likely have gotten into trouble without it!
George

Date: February 01, 2020 12:16AM

George,
You have received replies from caring and concerned veterans (and a newbie like me). I feel confident in speaking for all that we would be very interested in learning the outcome of your situation. Thank you for the thanks and please keep us posted when you return to the project.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster