I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UL Acid Wrap Jigging Rod
Posted by: Will Cooper (---)
Date: January 28, 2020 06:58PM

Im looking to build an UL Acid wrap rod. Its primary use will be from vertical jigging lake trout with jigs up to 1-2oz
Im looking at the Black Hole Challenger Bank 691UL, unless anyone has a better suggestion for this application?
I have decided to go with titanium guides. However im lost when it comes to sizes. If anyone has any suggestions it would be very much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UL Acid Wrap Jigging Rod
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 29, 2020 05:43PM

Will,
The possible reason no one has replied is that they may be confused on what you are trying to accomplish. To me at least, a rod built for 1-2oz jigs would certainly not be considered an UL rod. While any conventional, guides-on-top rod can certainly be spiral-wrapped instead, light rods (loads) will not benefit (anti rod twist) nearly as much as heavier rods (loads). Although with less than 5 years experience, I am comfortable in producing efficient, functioning and handsome rods. However, I find selecting the perfect blank to be quite daunting, and hence, do not feel qualified to answer that part of your question. Consider restating your question to receive more qualified answers.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 29, 2020 06:05PM

Apologies, I should have been more clear. I stated UL mainly due to the blank i was thinking of using (Black Hole Challenger Bank 691UL). We can omit UL from the original thread and if anyone has another blank suggestion im all ears. Im simply looking to build a spiral wrapped rod capable of handling 1-2oz jigs in 80ft of water. I have everything picked out except the guides. Which im completely lost on. The tip of the blank ive selected is 1.96mm fast action. I wanted to keep it lite and crisp for setting the hook on finicky lakers.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 29, 2020 07:52PM

Will, no apologies required, just open minds.
The only trout fishing I do is in the Sierra and once in a while the Rockies. How big do those lake trout get? All of my trout rods are spinning and my saltwater rods are casting. It is rare I stray very far from the Fuji flock. For medium type freshwater casting rods, many on this site utilize the height of a RV-6 for the stripper followed by 1 or 2 KBs with the remaining runners being KTs of your desired size (4, 4.5, 5). Depending on the method chosen for the spiral, a KW-8, with almost the same height, could be employed to assist off-setting the stripper to help avoid line contact with the blank if that is a concern as it is with me. Hopefully Norman Miller will reply with his vast knowledge.
You have received 140 views but no replies other than mine. As suggested before, consider rewriting, re-titling and reposting if you do not receive any replies here. Good luck.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2020 11:46AM

Will,

That blank is more like a medium / medium heavy blank but Black Hole calls it an Ultra-Light because in their rod / blank line that is the lightest one they carry. I assume that you are looking for something that resembles the specs with those line sizes. You want something 6'6" to 7'2" because it will work the jig the way it is supposed to with the right jerk amount (not overwork or be too long or short). I do not make rods for fresh water but the one you describe is something similar that I would make for light jigging offshore. I would look at the mag bass, medium, medium heavy to heavy blanks with fast to ex-fast action that are rated for up to 18#-20#+ line. I am not familiar with Black Hole so I am going to suggest some blanks that I use because I believe they will work for what you are trying to do. Remember you can cut down blanks up to 4" if needed. This may help get a particular action that you are looking for. Cutting blanks down also slows the action down a little. Fuji Point Blank: PB73HXF. North Fork Composites: SW703-1 (Psi-LMX), SW704-1 (Psi-LMX), MB708-1 (IM), MB7108-1 (X-Ray LMX) & MB7109-1 (X-Ray LMX). The Black Hole blank looks like it would work too.

The guide set up is simple Fuji RV6 followed by KB5s to the last 2 or 3 guides KT5s (depending on the thickness of the rod at the tip section) 9 or 10 guides total. Tip Top ring size 5 if the knots go through easy or 5.5-6 if not or you are using swivels.

Tight Lines,
Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2020 11:48AM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Will Cooper (38.122.127.---)
Date: January 30, 2020 02:52PM

Thanks all for the feedback.

I have read that I should use double foot guides for the transition as well. Is taht the case or ar you suggesting i use the KBs for that?

Date: January 31, 2020 12:27PM

They will get upset if you call it a transition guide on this site, it is a "bumper" guide. I also call it a transition guide even though the line actually begins to transition at the stripper. The KB will work just fine for the bumper but if you want to use double foot guides; I would go to a KW 10 for the stripper then for the bumper a KW 6 or a five (whichever looks better) then the rest 5 mm rings. I think the all KB/KT bumper & runners just have a cleaner look and also weigh a little less (as if it matters on this part of the rod). Look at the Forhan revolver set up, that is what I like to use. Adjust them so that under load the line does not touch the blank and the line is as straight as possible.

Date: January 31, 2020 04:52PM

Thanks for that info Lance. When it comes to spacing, is there a standard formula?

Date: January 31, 2020 11:07PM

Static load testing is the standard. On a 6'9" I use 9 guides up to 7' so a 7' to 7'2" would have 10 guides (this does not include the tip top). The first guide would be 18" to 22" from the reel face depending on the length of the handle. The guide closest to the tip top would be 3.25" to 3.75" depending on the stiffness of the blank tip area. There are a lot of downloadable worksheets or apps that you can get if you look on the internet. Find one and use it. It will get you in the ball park then you can tweak it using static load testing. On the spiral don't be afraid to move the guides around to get the line straight and off the blank. It does not have to follow exact degrees as for as placement of the bumper guides. Also make sure the line spools back on the reel evenly before setting the guides in permanently. I usually make a final adjustment after I have wrapped the guides, straightening or adjusting the bumpers. Just be careful because they can come unwrapped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster