I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Presenting rods to customers
Posted by: Chuck Brezen (70.97.209.---)
Date: January 27, 2020 07:43PM

Just a quick question... I have never really done anything special when handing over a finished rod to a customer but wondered if you guys have any “special touches” you attach or present the new owner? I feel like I’m handing one of my kids over sometimes after spending so much time together :) thanks for any ideas!

Chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Presenting rods to customers
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: January 27, 2020 08:35PM

Chuck

I don't sell rods but do provide rod recipients a document titled Certificate of Origin, The Certificate contains three sections, the first of which is a description of the components (blank, reek seat, grip, guides, finish and adhesives, etc.) and ends with a picture of the rod. The second section describes any blank manufacturer's warranty that is applicable and makes clear I do not provide any warranty, represent suitability for any use, etc. The third and final section is a list of things to do and not to do to care for the rod.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: January 27, 2020 08:59PM

Idea....

“Rod socks” made of “wire loom” can be made fairly inexpensively and takes maybe 10 minutes to fashion one.

I’m looking for a good way to personalize these - I’ve tried using heat press vinyl that is rated for polyester and it does “ok” on the top of the sock where the loom does it stretch out but not so well elsewhere

Tried paining it with a stencil and spray paint but it ran bad. I’ve seen them painted and expect they use some type of “stamp” but haven’t figured out how to make my own

(Was going to post a pic but not sure how to on this board)

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 27, 2020 10:33PM

Michael,
If you wanted to personalize the Rod socks, you could have labels made of either a cloth material or possibly a plastic material.
Then, just sew the label t the top of the sock where it is flat.

take care

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2020 10:28AM

Like handing a kid over to someone who most likely will abuse it. I do a order / data sheet that I make when they order a rod and then re-print it and attach rolled up with a rubber band on the rod in a plastic sleeve. I found these plastic bag sleeves like blanks come in from a rod components merchant. I am more of a "at least get the rod home before you break it" kind of guy so I will make them a pvc tube to put it in with a decal and their name on it for $20. It seems like they really don't like it at first but when they order another rod most of the time they will ask for another one. Those plastic carbon looking weave sleeves are pretty cheap now and I will throw one of those in occasionally to my friends. I guess I am fortunate because many of the people I sell to will tip me also so I wind up getting more than I ask for the rod and really most of them come back and get another one or tell someone else and they buy one. A little extra doesn't hurt anything.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2020 10:35AM

The rod sleeve is a very nice touch but adds cost. What I use is clear plastic sleeve like you find on the blanks when you get them only larger to accommodate both casting and spinning rods. I seal the bottom and fold over the top and staple one of my business cards to it. Most everyone is pleased and can't wait to open it.

[www.mudhole.com]

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2020 02:33PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 28, 2020 02:18PM

I do what Tom W. does. A plastic sleeve is a nice touch that does not cost much. I also include a build sheet that states what components, threads, finishes, etc. were used just in case a repair / duplication is needed and work is to be done by others (out of the area). No cost / pricing info is put on this sheet. I keep a complete list of all related info for the rod in my possession.
Rog

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: January 29, 2020 05:12PM

Before I started building rods for myself I had one made by a builder in the Midwest . He didnt even put his name on it and when I told him it wasn't finished because of that he got @#$%& and said all sorts of nasty things to me . I still have the emails . What a turd !

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 30, 2020 05:40PM

The one thing that I do with all of my finished rods, is to seal each rod separately in a sealed vinyl sleeve. The sleeve if sealed with an impulse heater.

For example:

[www.uline.com]
I generally use 2 inch sleeving unless, the size of the guides require 3 inch sleeving.

An example of the impulse sealer that I use.

[www.uline.com]

An impluse sealer works by supplying electrical power to the heater for a given amount of time (impulse). The width of the electrical power impulse determines the amount of total heat that is generated for each push of the button on the sealer.

When first starting to use the impulse sealer, several different test seals need to be done - varying the time of the impulse or the width of the electrical power pulse by turning the button on the timer.

Then, for ensuing uses of the sealer, the tube is simply inserted onto the sealer bed, the top is pushed down which triggers the pulse. The pulse then heats up for the adjusted amount of time and shuts off. The result is a perfect seal time after time without melting through the bag or not having enough heat to do a very job in completing the seal of the tubing.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster