I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ST1262-MHX for a spiral wrap steelhead float rod?
Posted by: Camilo Lusis (---.wellington.ca)
Date: January 27, 2020 12:01PM

Hi all,

I'm looking for a blank which could be used for a Great Lakes spiral wrap float rod. So far this blank seems to be a good candidate:

ST1262, 10'6", 4-8lb, 1/8-1/2oz., mod-fast action, medium light power.

At the moment I am experimenting with spiral wrap rod built from a 11' 8 weight switch rod blank. It is okay, a bit more flexible than I expected and casting a float is more of a lob.

I was hoping a mod-fast action rod would still allow me to cast relatively light weights (1/8 to 1/4 floats) but with a quicker tip recovery as the switch rod has some wiggle at the end of the cast.

Anyone with any experience with this blank? Or any other suggestions?

thanks
Camilo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ST1262-MHX for a spiral wrap steelhead float rod?
Posted by: rick sodke (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: January 27, 2020 04:45PM

For west coast Steelhead I use the Batson XST1263 6-12lb, 3/8-3/4oz and it is an awesome as a spiral wrapped float rod. Fast action, fast recovery. ERN: 12.55, AA: 77
It may be too powerful for Great Lakes steelhead.
I don't see a 1262 in their product listing, so you'd have to go down to 9'6" XST1142F to get to 2 power.

I'm surprised the MHX doesn't have faster recovery, though I've never used that blank.

Posted by: Camilo Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 28, 2020 07:37AM

Thanks for the feedback Rick. I'll check out the XST 1263 - I like blanks with some power compared to the usual steelhead rods most use in this area.

Just for the clarification, the switch rod blank I am currently using is a Pac Bay Quickline, not an MHX. I've used several of these blanks for steelhead rods and the eight weight seems to have the most tip wiggle at the end of the cast.

Posted by: Matt Hehn (---.static.123.net)
Date: January 28, 2020 09:18AM

The Batson XST 1263 is a great blank. I've build spiral baitcasters, center pin and spinning rods on it and they have worked great for great lakes steelhead.

Matt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster