I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Yet another DC conversion
Posted by: Mike Laver (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: January 25, 2020 10:45AM

Thanks to Roger and Mark's helpful posts I got inspired and converted to DC. Now have single motor with variable speed drying mode and a wrapping function with remote reverse. So far works perfectly, and sure makes things easier. My shaping is done at a separate location on my lathe so don't need a really fast wrapper. The 2 features that I find are most heplful are being able to speed up when applying finish and slowing down to dry, and being able to quickly reverse rotation when wrapping at the end of a rod to correct my mistakes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yet another DC conversion
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 25, 2020 11:08AM

Mike,
Glad that everything worked out for you. That is what the Rod building forum is all about. Helping one another have a successful time in this avocation.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.sip.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 25, 2020 02:32PM

Getting ready to get a power wrapper setup and would love to get details on the DC motor conversion details

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 25, 2020 08:19PM

Mike L.,
Thanks for the acknowledgement but Roger is the (electrical) brains while I am only the (fabrication) brawn. I knew what I wanted to achieve; a single, powerful motor with the ability to adjust the RPM from 5 to 200 for thread wrapping, finish application and curing (although I built a heated curing cabinet) but also 100-3000 RPM for turning/shaping, hopefully without the need for step pulleys and having to change the belt. Issues arose when including both a speed control knob on the enclosure (for turning/shaping and finish application) or speed control foot petal (for wrapping).
Roger used his electrical knowledge and wizardry to make it happen. While I understand what he did, I would not have been able to figure it out by myself; I just put it all in a nice enclosure. I anticipated the possibility of having to employ step pulleys and having to change the belt but, after using it, it works perfectly without the need of such. I am much more than pleased!!!
Michael W.,
What operations are you expecting to perform with a power wrapper?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.sip.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 25, 2020 08:30PM

Power Wrapping & drying would be the primary. Likely would do turning of handles or such on a separate lathe but would be nice to have the option in the short term

Posted by: Ron Fletcher (---.rk.wavecable.com)
Date: January 25, 2020 08:36PM

That's great another DC conversion. I love mine that Roger helped me design. 24 volt DC, alot better foot control, switch over from foot control to control knob for constant variable speed, plus reverse. With Roger's help it's easy. Once you figure out your parts list.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 26, 2020 03:18PM

Michael W.,
Things get more complicated and costly when attempting to perform both lower speed/power wrapping/finish/curing AND higher speed/power turning/shaping. It is obviously better to isolate any turning/sanding operations in a separate area/room considering the dust factor, but my limited space dictated consolidating everything into one unit. With the relatively low cost of mini and midi wood lathes for turning/shaping/sanding, that would most likely be the optimum option. However, most of those type lathes probably do not have the ability to reverse which I consider a huge plus.
I do not know of your fabrication abilities/desires and if you plan on performing the work yourself or have someone such as Roger build it for you. In either case, consider contacting Roger; besides his electrical knowledge, he has sources for electrical components including motors (some = surplus) and knows exactly which ones will suit any given application. Again, Roger is the brains, I’m just the brawn.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster