I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8 foot float rod
Posted by: Justin Ile (160.134.172.---)
Date: January 24, 2020 12:42PM

Hello everyone, i am new to the site and rod building. I am looking to build a smaller float rod for some smaller PA trout streams. Currently i have been using a 8 foot crappie rod with my pin. I love the length, but the rod just dont have enough power for bigger trout. I was thinking about using an 8 foot 4 wt rod blank and putting spinning guides on it. Could anyone suggest any blanks and guides that might be best for my application? Thanks in advance!

Justin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2020 12:43PM by Justin Ile.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8 foot float rod
Posted by: Chase Timmons (199.244.3.---)
Date: January 24, 2020 02:54PM

Maybe a Medium or Medium-Light power salmon/steelhead blank? That would give you a little more backbone.

-Chase

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.chtnsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2020 04:23PM

I agree with Chase, go with a salmon/steelhead blank rather than a fly rod blank.
Norm

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 24, 2020 05:19PM

Here’s a couple Rainshadow blanks that we recommend for inland trout rods, they’re a bit long than an 8-foot.

REV904-4 - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
ETEF1064-4 - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2020 07:21PM

I just got back from fishing a spring pond this afternoon. Slammed the brookies and a couple rainbows. Brookies were solid pound and a half to two pounds. Biggest bow was nearly five pounds. I built a rod specific for this pond. I needed a good backbone to control the fish but not a real powerful rod as I am not casting real heavy lures. Normally a small float a split shot and size ten hook or smaller. Sounds like your in a similar situation. I built on a now discontinued rainshadow light 9'6" model XST1141F. It was rated 4-8 pound mod fast. I ended up cutting it back to about 9' even. I did a split grip and at the end of the build I thought I had just a bit too much grip behind the reel. I used Pac bay minima match for my reduction guides 20 10 5 and the minima size 5s for runners. Similar setup should work with a 8 foot blank just less runners. 5s are probable bigger than needed but I use it in winter and wanted to lessen ice build up.

You should look for a similar blank in the 8 foot range. A fly rod is not going to give the backbone a steelhead blank will. I would look for at least a Mod-fast blank, or a fast if you can find one. Which is a tough thing to find. Most that give the action you want are over powered.A Pac Bay T2SH993-2 is close to what you want but might be a little more power than you need.

If you build on a fly blank I would look for a fast action and test the action prior to building. A fast action fly blank will be on the bottom end of a mod fast spin blank typically. So not ideal but probable a bit better than a crappie blank which typically are a slow action to barely moderate.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 24, 2020 09:03PM

Like the Pac Bay mentioned Rainshadow has the IST993F-M, 6-10 lb. line, 1/4 to 1/2 oz. lure weights, works good in Alaska for your size trout. Have a gentleman retired in Mexico who drives his ATV up and down the beaches looking for fish in the surf, his ultralight surf rod is built on this blank, he loves the thing. Fast action blank, I use it to fish small coastal streams for steelhead, much easier to go through the brush with, and works better in tight quarters than my 9 1/2 footers.

Posted by: Justin Ile (---)
Date: January 29, 2020 05:26PM

Thanks everyone for the replies! A lot of great information!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 01, 2020 01:26PM

Forgot all about the 8 ft. float and fly smallmouth blanks, never used one, but it could be a good option.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster