I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji SIC Guides
Posted by: Nate Fredrickson (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 04:52PM

While trying to order a Fuji FST (silicon carbide ring) tip top for a bass rod build today, I noticed they were not listed on the Mudhole website and Janns Netcraft had them on clearance. Other guides with SIC rings appeared to be sold out or in short supply as well. It made me wonder if they are reducing the use of SIC as a ring material. The representative at Mudhole wasn't sure if this tip top had been discontinued and wasn't sure why other SIC products were not in stock. Has anyone heard?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji SIC Guides
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 05:40PM

FC tops have been discontinued, I've been using LG's

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 05:54PM

The F Top is slated to be discontinued but there is ample supply in the pipeline. You should be able to get it although some dealers are trying to clear it out. We currently have a good supply. The FST is a Gunsmoke frame and Gunsmoke is being replaced by Fuji's new Gunmetal finish with enhanced corrosion protection. The top slated to replace the F is the LG, a top that has been in service for a couple of years now and has a great track record. It is available in MANY frame/ring combinations including Gunmetal SiC.

SiC is alive and well and has undergone an upgrade to "Slim SiC" in Gunmetal frames (tops do not have Slim SiC, only guides). Any perceived shortage is likely due to dwindling Gunsmoke frames as they are slowly being replaced by Gunmetal.

The best replacement for you will probably be a GMLGST and should be available from many dealers.

Hope this helps.

Date: January 23, 2020 06:14PM

What Jim said! lol

Posted by: Nate Fredrickson (---)
Date: January 23, 2020 06:25PM

Very helpful. Thank you both. Glad to hear sic isn’t going away.

Jim: On the Gmlgst, the two side braces are fixated to the top of the tube. Do you have any concerns about the brace separating from the top of the tube in situations with heavy flipping sticks and braid with this model? I’ve replaced several different tops from other manufacturers that utilize this design. The Fst doesn’t have this issue since the brace is strengthened by wrapping underneath the tube instead.

Date: January 23, 2020 06:34PM

I think Get - Bit lists them. Might want to call them.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 23, 2020 06:43PM

Nate,
There you have it from the man-of-the-hour, Jim Isling.
I have also been using Fuji LGs but either CCLGAT or BCLGAT, not SiC. While SiC possesses the best heat dissipation of any ring material and is surpassed only by Torzite in other considerations, it is my understanding it is quite brittle and can be easily fractured leading to the ring coming out of the frame. Although I consider myself to be very careful/gentle with my rods, Murphy’s Law prevails and I avoid the possibility of not being able to use my rod at the most inopportune moment. All manufacturer’s ceramic rings are virtually groove-proof, even the lesser expensive units, with Fuji’s Alconite somewhere in the middle of price and ultimate performance as well. The only time I use a Fuji ring other than Alconite is when it is not available in a particular frame. Admittedly being possibly more numb than most, I am also a cheap bastard; LGST 4.5 = $5.52, GMLGST 4.5 = $5.59, BCLGAT = $2.95. If you are @#$%&-bent on SiC then so be it, good for you and go for it. IMO, Alconite is more than required for more than 95% of any fishing situation.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 23, 2020 07:46PM

If I was only using one SIC ring on a rod, it would be the tip ring.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 24, 2020 06:58PM

I agree with Lynn , even though SIC is an incredibly hard ceramic and being such can crack if whacked against something it is a superb tip top material . If you're careful and inspect regularly with a cotton ball to check if any cotton catches within the ring which would indicate a crack it's still worth having and utilizing as a tip top material because of it's heat dissipation properties and extreme hardness.

Always wise to carry a spare tip top though.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: January 27, 2020 03:21PM

Nate, at one time Fuji called tops "spinning tops" or "casting tops" based on the brace-over or brace-under design. The LG seemed to mark the moment in time when Fuji concluded that the brace-over design was more than strong enough for casting. As far as I know, we have not had a single LG returned because the braze popped loose on a casting rod.

Mark, while TORZITE® is more "resilient" than Sic (it will flex slightly more without fracturing), it is not quite as hard. But, when all characteristics are combined; flex, resistance to chip, heat dissipation, etc, TORZITE® can be pared down to a thinner diameter without a loss of "character" (all features combined) compared to SiC.

Although heat dissipation can be a very real issue for tuna fishermen or say, bonefish on 6-pound mono, it's not very important in the 1-minute fight most of us deal with on a bass, trout, or walleye. The more direct (and real) benefit comes from the degree to which a given ceramic can be polished. I talk with anglers all the time, including pros, who are absolutely sure that TORZITE® provides a smoother feel and a longer cast. I'm pretty sure this is due to TORZITE® accepting a higher degree of polish than any other ring material available, with SiC a close second.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster