I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foredom FCT-1
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.broadband.sta.mhtc.net)
Date: January 22, 2020 10:52AM

I have an Alps wrapper that the foot control crapped out on, I purchased the Foredom FCT-1 variable speed foot control and it has never worked as a variable speed controller, more like an on-off switch. I have it connected as directed and thought I may have a defective switch so ordered a replacement switch, and still have the problem, it acts as an on off switch, I moved port 6 to port 5 and still the same issue. Is this a problem with the Foredom control and the motor on the Alps or do I need to wire this differently than what I have currently? Or does anyone have a suggestion for a better control?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foredom FCT-1
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2020 01:07PM

That @#$%&. Hopefully you can figure it out. I wonder if you can connect it to other motors in your shop and see if the VAriable speed function works on those. I used that one you have with the Clemens for years, before switching to the heavier metal housing control.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 22, 2020 01:51PM

Mark,
The Alps wrapper motor uses the equivalent of a sewing machine motor which is an ac/dc universal motor.

Billy has a very good suggestion.

Use your new FCT-1 to control a different motor or you can just plug a standard incandescent lamp into it, or you may have a trouble light with a standard light bulb in the light.

A lot of different folks including myself have used the FCT-1 controller to control universal ac/dc motors that are used for different purposes - including Wrappers.

-------------------------
You should be able to take the two motor power wires from your alps wrapper, put a plug on the two wires and plug the motor plug into your new foot pedal and it should work just fine.

----------------
When you look at the internals of the foot pedal, the control element inside the foot pedal is essentially the trigger control that is used on corded AC plug in drills. Then, a tab on the pedal, just pushes in the trigger on the switch to activate the variable speed trigger.

Take care

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 22, 2020 02:07PM

Mark,
I see a potential problem when I look at the standard Alps wrapper.

I see that the AC cord goes to the wrapper and I suspect is wired to the switch that turns on the wrapper or the dryer.

I suspect that you also have an additional dial on the wrapper that can slow or raise the overall speed of the wrapping motor.

Then, I suspect that from that point there is a wire that goes to the pedal, and then a wire from the pedal that goes to one side of the motor.

If this is a non electronic pedal, as I suspect that it is, the wiring to the new pedal may need to be changed to achieve correct operation.

I wonder if you could do a couple of things:

1. Use your new controller and plug in a AC drill if you have one and with the switch on the drill pushed all of the way in, use the pedal to control the drill and verify that it works.
If you don't have an ac drill, plug in a table lamp or trouble light with a standard bulb in the light and with the light switch turned on, and the pedal ac plug put into the wall socket, use the pedal to turn the light on and off with varying brightness.
If either the motor or the light if you don't have a motor vary in speed or brightness with the Foredom FCT-1 pedal, the pedal is fine.

2. If the pedal works with the motor and or the light - then, just for a test - disconnect the motor wires from everything in the wrapper and connect an ac plug and cord directly to the motor wires. Then, plug in the foot pedal and plug the new motor plug into the foot pedal and test the pedal for correct operation.

3. If the pedal now works correctly, there is an issue with the switch in the wrapper or if there is an extra speed control in the wrapper - perhaps an issue with that controller.

Let us know what you find.

The normal way that a light dimmer or a motor controller will work for 110v AC circuits and items is that the controller is simply put in series with one line of the AC plug going to the motor. Then, if there are two controllers, the two controllers are hooked in series - side by side so to speak and then, the ac is plugged in for correct operation.

Take care

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 22, 2020 03:17PM

Mark B.,
When designing the power-head upgrade of my self-built power wrapper, a similar issue occurred with the foot petal not producing a nice, gradual speed variation; more like an on-off switch as you mentioned. Actually, it was Roger Wilson who discovered the issue and he was able to correct the issue with his electrical knowledge and wizardry. Listen to Roger and understand what he says/asks; he will be able to solve your problem because he is the best!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster