I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo fly rod blanks
Posted by: Bruce Creel (---.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 21, 2020 09:11PM

I just completed my 4th rod build and wanted to try a little something different. I have been looking at Bamboo fly rods and would like to build one for trout. I have located several bamboo blank sellers but I am a little worried about the quality of the blanks. You can pay $85 to $500 and they all seem to have the same description. Does anyone have some advice or suggestions on a good quality blank.

Re: Bamboo fly rod blanks
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 21, 2020 10:23PM

Bruce,
At the risk of sounding remote or uncaring, LET THE BUYER BE WARE! In most cases, a blank that seems too good to be true, probably is! But that is not to say to not try the $85.00 blank. When one considers the amount of time required to produce a hexagon, split cane, bamboo blank, that $85.00 seems quite reasonable. Johnny Kuehn (RIP) of Angler’s Roost supplied affordable bamboo blanks to the rod building world for quite a few years. Due to the (low) price, I can only assume they were manufactured in China. As you, I was intrigued with building a cane rod and employed Johnny to supply such. While the quality was adequate, I am certain the $500.00 examples you referred to (let alone the $3000.00 offerings) are superior, possibly by quite by large margin. May I suggest, at your novice state, to start with an affordable cane blank, build it, fish it, critique it and then decide if you want to peruse cane rods further. I was so intrigued cane blanks that I considered purchasing or building all the fixtures and equipment to fabricate my own; all that is presently on the back burner but embers remain.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 22, 2020 10:54AM

If you, like 98% of today's anglers, have never casted a bamboo fly rod you should consider casting one, or better yet, fishing with one before you invest too much time, money, and effort into building one.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 22, 2020 11:16AM

Hook and Hackle and Swift (Epic) have very decent looking blanks and kits and are highly reputable retailers.

Posted by: Vic Kennard (---.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 09:57PM

Only from my own perspective..Now that I find myself a mere step away from 80, a good fly rod that lacks a 6 sided circumference just doesn't handle the same..
However, what ever you find comfort in and become accustomed to will bring you decades of pure enjoyment..

Posted by: Dale Thompson (---)
Date: February 01, 2020 04:00PM

Ye Olde English Fly Shop

yeoldeenglishflyshop.com

I agree with Vic! Fly fishing with bamboo is great

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster