I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Whipping thread finish on bush rod
Posted by: Vic Kennard (---.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: January 22, 2020 02:03AM

New member seeking advice here..

Would like to ask if there are any builders here that may know of a method of using the U-40 finish on the thread wraps that would produce a Satin finished look..
What i have is a fine natural Bamboo color finished Hexagraph fly rod ..
The guide wraps and intermediate wraps on the rod all match the color of the rod, and have a satin finish that matches the rod..
Presently the finished wraps all need an additional protective finish to protect the threads from wear..
My home here is in Fairbanks, Alaska and this particular rod is my bush rod used on our secluded streams.. While climbing through the thick cover along these streams,
the threads occasionally get hung up in the tangles of vegetation.. I have noticed that on the outer edges of the Hexagraphs ridges the threads are in need of a solid durable finish to protect them from further wear..
The surface of the threads as they are finished still reveal the surface of each thread,and you can feel each thread if you run a fingernail over them, which will only add to the wear..
I would like to put a finish of U 40 over each to better protect then .. My concern is that the U 40 would likely give the threads a glassy look..
If possible i would like it to instead have a Satin finish and still have the quality and clarity in the U 40 finish over the threads..
Thank you for any help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Whipping thread finish on bush rod
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.sub-174-255-0.myvzw.com)
Date: January 22, 2020 07:05AM

[www.mudhole.com]
I have used this on a few occasions for just this type of application.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 22, 2020 03:44PM

Vic K.,
Thank you for your post which reminded me of wanting to try the product Victor mentioned, Seymo Matt Varnish. PG is a urethane whereas the Seymo product is an acrylic if that matters. There was a post on the rodboard early in 2018 concerning the same desire for a matt finish and somewhere among the replies it was stated that due to the dull finish, intricate thread work lost some of its detail = consider testing prior to applying on your rod; I know I will.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 23, 2020 12:06AM

The Varathane Triple Thick urethane comes in a Matte finish and Satin also. The powder I got from Klassic Kote obscures the thread work depending on how much you use, you get enough for many gallons of finish, it looks to me. Would be great to matte an already paint like finish, they use it to matte the epoxy paint on plane models, etc.

Posted by: Vic Kennard (---.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 09:34PM

Will have to check on the triple thick,although the name itself scares me a little..
Not wanting to put a high build on the threads, just a tough hard finish to avoid nicking(scuffing) the threads. .
You mentioned a powder..
Back when I was in the duplicating and molding and casting stage in my life, we always used Talc powder in resins to produce a matte finish..
Simple Baby Powder added to the mix was all it took.. Not sure how it might effect urethane though..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2020 10:09PM by Vic Kennard.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 29, 2020 10:12PM

Anyone have long term experience with Triple Thick? It's rated for interior use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster