I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Storing rod guides
Posted by: Rick Shaffer (67.213.20.---)
Date: January 21, 2020 07:54PM

Anyone have a good idea for storage of unused rod guides??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Storing rod guides
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2020 08:19PM

I use a tackle box. Just the single hinged lid type with dividers. I like the Plano stowaway type. They come in different sizes.You can split the guides up by sizes and types. Or put sets together in one compartment. Make sure you keep in original packaging or label in some way. I have a whole bunch of guides I have no clue what exactly they. Had them in a cardboard box in plastic bag type original packaging. Box got wet. In a hurry I unbagged all the guides and dumped them out to dry. Never took the time to keep track of what was what.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 21, 2020 10:29PM

Rick,
2X Michael’s comments and avoid the cardboard box.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 22, 2020 08:27AM

I use two storage tackle boxes. One for new guides and one for used guides taken from broken or discarded rods.

Also have a compartment for new and used tips.

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 22, 2020 08:39AM

[www.planomolding.com]

I normally use the Plano 3600 boxes.

Here is one example of a lot of 4 boxes for a good price:

[www.amazon.com]

The compartments are adjustable and you can adjust them to any desired size.
I use one or more boxes for each type guide brand.

------------------
For more storage, the 3700 boxes are larger and thinner to allow easier access to the contents of each compartment.
[www.amazon.com]

Then, I store the Plano boxes in a larger plastic storage box that will hold a dozen or so boxes. That way, all of the guides are in one easy to store location.

I do the same thing with wrapping thread. All of the thread in plano boxes and then the boxes are in a larger plastic box. So, normally most of the wrapping equipment is in two boxes and one more box for the tools and adhesive etc.

----------------------------------
When I am working on Electronic projects, I stow the rod building gear and bring out the electronic gear and use the same bench. Compact storage and easy to change from one to something else in a few minutes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2020 08:43AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hstntx.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 22, 2020 10:18AM

x4 Plano boxes with dividers. I keep sets I made up in plastic bags that are labeled in the boxes.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 22, 2020 02:26PM

Ill echo the same sentiments above. I keep all my supplies in plano boxes. I keep all my guides in one, brushes in another, small grips in another..etc. This keeps things simplified and orderly.

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: January 22, 2020 07:15PM

I use plano boxes also I found wire racks that the boxes slide into the racks can be mounted on a wall or are free standing this make getting to the box I want easy . I got these at west marine store.

Posted by: Rick Shaffer (69.77.100.---)
Date: January 23, 2020 03:26PM

Big THANKS to all of you who responded...I appreciate the info. I was thinking that Plano 3600 boxes would be the way to go....All of you all affirmed it.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 11:55PM

I bought one of those multi drawer screw nut and bolt organizers from home depot, and it works fantastic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster