I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish and guide leg?
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 19, 2020 09:35AM

I am looking for tips for getting the finish around the guide legs
when using a dryer to turn the rod. I have a very hard time getting
the edge of the finish straight.

Re: Finish and guide leg?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2020 06:18PM

Lots of people develop a steady hand with practice. I never did. So I wrap a couple wraps of narrow masking tape at the ends of my wraps. I apply my finish to all the guides. Let things set up fifteen to twenty minutes. I go back and remove the tape. It will give a nice clean edge. The epoxy will have enough flow in it to still level out at the ends. You will not end up with a edge of epoxy. Just a nice clean tapered out end on the finish of each wrap.

Date: January 19, 2020 09:35PM

Thanks but I don't have a problem with getting the edge straight. What happens is everytime the guide comes around I have to pull the brush away or slide it to the side. So I end up with little to no finish directly opposite the guide foot.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2020 09:49PM

Don't apply your finish with the rod locked into and turning under power.

Lots of us let the dryer "free wheel", spin the rod by hand and apply your finish. Once finish is done, lock it into the dryer and walk away.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 19, 2020 10:31PM

Paul,
When I apply finish around the guide foot, I always stop the rod with the guid pointing straight up. Then, I use the brush to insure that the area on the backside of the guide foot is well filled with finish. Then, I turn the wrapper back on that I use when I apply finish and apply finish to the rest of the guide wrap. When, doing this I use a good turn rate on the rod which helps to insure a nice straight edge. I keep the brush angled away from the top of the guide to avoid having the issue with the guide ring pushing the brush away from the rod. Hence the application of finish on the backside of the guide foot before the rest of the wrap is finished.

Take care.

Date: January 19, 2020 10:39PM

As mentioned stopping the rod works very well. I stop the rod and coat what I can easily. I will then get a fair amount of finish on the brush and apply a fair sized drop on either side of the guide foot. Once the rod is rotating the blob of finish will flow a bit. The tunnel under the guide foot will fill nicely and it will transition nicely to the finish along the rest of the guide wrap.

Date: January 20, 2020 09:39AM

All great ideas I will be trying them today. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 20, 2020 10:01AM

A method that works for us is simply sharpen the handle end of a finish brush in a pencil sharpener.
Then, with the rod stationary and guides facing away, put a drop with the sharpened end on all the tunnel ends.
Works on both 1 or 2 foot guides.
Turn the rod 180 and do it on the other side.
You can also then use that sharp end to "lead" finish around to the back side of the guide.
Doing it while the blank is not moving make the job easier.
I then turn on the machine, rotate it and then finish as usual.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 20, 2020 12:17PM

Since I do a locking wrap it is hard to get good coverage behind the guide while it is rotating. So after applying finish to the guides while rotating, I stop the rod with the guides facing me. With a dubbing needle or dissecting needle (a needle on a stick) I pick up a small amount of finish from my brush and apply it to the back of the foot. As you will see, the finish will get sucked in and fill any void. Works great. An advantage to stoping the rotation is that it allows excess finish to sag, and the sag can be easily removed giving a nice level finish.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 20, 2020 05:39PM

Paul,
I agree with all of your received replies. The easiest way to momentarily stop the rod from spinning, without having to stop the motor, is to employ a Slip-Clutch which are available from just about any rod building supply business. I could not live without one; I even use it while thread wrapping so I can easily back up if needed and can also be an aid in fine-tuning the thread tension.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 20, 2020 06:54PM

Yes the slip clutch is the way to go. I was hesitant to spend the money on one when I was building a drying setup. Tell you what probable the best money I ever spent. I have found have the right tool and quality tools for doing a job makes things much easier and more enjoyable.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 20, 2020 07:29PM

my V-blocks have the slip-clutch built in..lol..(just a little v-blocker humor).

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2020 10:55AM

Paul

Without a doubt you will find that our slip clutch will make you finishing life easier. The Flex Coat slip clutch is made in the USA in a facility that manufactures parts for airplanes, rockets, and custom guns. The tolerances on our slip clutch are unmatched for trueness. Here is a video about it, go to the 5:50 mark to see the slip clutch in action.
[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: January 22, 2020 05:38PM

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the help. I think I am going to get a slip clutch and try that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster