I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which fly guides to use ceramic or wire...
Posted by: Bryan Burbank (---.static.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: January 17, 2020 04:30PM

Which fly guides should I use for 9' 5wt....what brand ceramic guides or what brand wire guides...Thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which fly guides to use ceramic or wire...
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: January 17, 2020 06:35PM

Snake Brand's Universal Lite Wire Snake Guides. End of conversation. Yep, they're that good.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 17, 2020 07:46PM

Use any guides you want. I'd use REC titanium guides, likely in single foot unless rough handling is expected. The light wire double foots work really well if you're hiking in a lot of brush or otherwise need more durability.

If cost is a factor, the Batson stainless are good and not expensive at all.

For stripper guides again, it's personal choice. I virtually always use Fuji KW type guides. For a 5 weight you could use one 12mm and call it good. It's all personal preference. All choices will make a "good" fly rod.

Drew

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 17, 2020 08:07PM

I only build fly rods - and have used both REC Recoils (s/f and snakes) and Snakebrand.
Snakebrand are good - but don't believe that you don't have to prep feet. - you will - especially if you use, as I do, "00" tread to wrap the runners.

I fish only salt water - so use REC Recoils 99% of the time. I have built fly rods for others with Snakebrand runners and if they don't wash off salt after using in the salt - the guides WILL stain and therefore stain the wraps.

I agree with Drew re the REC and and the Fuji Stripper.

I would not install ceramics as runners on any fly rod - especially one as light as a #5.

Herb
Distrib. CTS rod blanks

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2020 10:00PM

I too only build fly rods and my go-to guides are the Batson line up. I use single foot almost exclusively employing the Forhan locking loop to secure them.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2020 12:51AM

This is a slightly controversial topic on here. I recommend the light duty RECs but if you want to do ceramics do it. I have done down to 3 wts with ceramics and they can cast 60' with little effort. On a 9' rod I will use 12 ceramic guides. An "L" frame guide for runners works well on fly rods and if you are using it mainly in fresh water then a stainless steel frame material will be fine. It looks like you can still get Fuji L frame Alconite guides through Mudhole. On a 8.5' 5 wt I would use 11 Fuji ceramic guides; a KW 12, KW 6 then the rest L 5s. On the tip section you could lighten it up with L 4s a little then use a Arowana 5 tip top. If you go with REC same two strippers then 7-4 mm double foot snakes to the tip top (9 guides total not including tip top). I will never recommend single foot snake guides because they are trash. Also if you go the ceramic rout, place the first stripper guide about an 1" from the ferrule (if it is a 4 pc rod). Seaguide and Batson also also make some nice L framed ceramic guides. There are some really great builders here but we all have our differences on how a fly rod should be built so you will most likely get a few more comments as to how it should be done and what components to use. Also I have trekked all over southern Patagonia with my ceramic guide fly rods in the brush and have not messed up any of them. They work as designed and in windy conditions. I have used Snake brand guides in the past but have had issues with corrosion because I mainly fish saltwater. REC guides have never corroded on me and they have a round design vs a tear drop shape of other guides.

Posted by: Bryan Burbank (---)
Date: January 18, 2020 01:26PM

Thanks to everyone who posted....

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 18, 2020 01:28PM

Do fly guides ever "wear out"? I have never observed this phenomenon.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2020 02:41PM

Yes, wire guides did and some still can wear out. It used to be a big part of my rod repair business - replacing snake guides on fly rods.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 18, 2020 03:53PM

one of the first things you notice with ceramic guides is how loooong your fly line lasts and floats..

Date: January 18, 2020 04:00PM

I don't think I have ever seen a fly guide "worn out" (grooved) from using fly line - but then fly line is so thick and soft it would make a very wide and shallow groove indeed, so it might be impossible to see with the naked eye?

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 18, 2020 04:22PM

your flyline tells you when you have guide issues, especially under fish fighting loads..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2020 05:44PM

Phil,

Oh you'll see it and you'll even be able to tell if the guy is casting overhead or sidearm because the groove will be either in the top or the side of the guide. And no, they're not hard to see.

Modern guides have gotten so much better than this would not happen at the same rate of occorrence that it did 15 or 20 years ago.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 18, 2020 07:54PM

Only fly rod I have is a Dan Craft 9 ft. Sig V 10 wt. when your shaking out the line to get enough to cast, it just flies out of the guides. Casts beautifully, fishes the same, 10 guides plus tip was all I needed. Fuji Alconites.
Much more noticeable difference in tip weight and response as the powers get lighter, converted a 7 wt. back to single foot wire guides after a few seasons.

Date: January 18, 2020 09:50PM

Spencer,
The DC Sig. V is a beast.
I can understand why the ceramics make the blank more pleasant.
Herb

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 18, 2020 11:06PM

Herb,
Dan gave you a choice with the Sig Vs, sanded, or unsanded, I chose the unsanded which caused quite a few looks back than, now it's getting more common. I believe it had an ERN of 13.36, AA of 67 degrees.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2020 04:55AM

I have never seen a guide wear out because I have too many rods that I will use. If that happens to you then I would just get a new rod because it would be about time to. I would imagine that there would be something out there better by then.

Date: January 19, 2020 02:13PM

Dry cotton balls have a higher coefficient of friction than a clean fly line dressed with Formula 303 Aerospace Protectant. People who misuse and abuse their fly rods and fly lines [never clean them or treat them] and fishing tackle will definitely need new lines, guides, and rods at regular intervals.

Date: January 20, 2020 05:00PM

Phil,
Are there no negative consequences to using 303? I use it on my dry suit's latex neck gasket cuffs to prevent sun damage. I know sun can damage fly lines - but what about a chemical reaction between the fly line coating and the 303.
I ruined a Wulff fly line (made by SA) by using Loon dressing.

So now I only use SA dressing or Glide.
Herb

Date: January 21, 2020 09:51AM

Herb: I have never heard of any such damage, but not all fly lines are coated with the same plastic materials. Formula 303 has been widely used on thousands of different make, model, and year automobile interiors for decades and apparently damage and lawsuits from such use has not discouraged the manufacturers of 303. I don't worry about it hurting my fly lines, and I believe Formula 303 adds significant distance to my fly casts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster