I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Musky rod build guides???
Posted by: Chris Henry (206.80.132.---)
Date: January 17, 2020 01:23PM

What Fuji guides would you recommend for musky rod builds? KW, MN, LN? Also, which fuji tip top?
I'm looking at building a telescopic 9' or 9'6" XXH which a Tranx 500 will be mounted. Will KW's be high enough for a Tranx 500?
Thanks,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Musky rod build guides???
Posted by: Bill Brunstad (---)
Date: January 17, 2020 02:30PM

Guides: Fugi MN
Tip Top: Fugi MG
Alconite

I've built six rods in the last year with those parts. Have parts and will build two more before the muskie season opens in June. I'm especially pleased with how they work.

Posted by: Chris Henry (206.80.132.---)
Date: January 17, 2020 03:09PM

I don't see a SIC option for the MG tip top but I do see a concept O. What is a Concept O ring and is it as durable as a SIC?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 17, 2020 06:20PM

Muskies don't give a hoot what kind of guides you use. Advertisers do.

Date: January 17, 2020 09:57PM

Mud Hole has the SIC option in the MG tip top - [www.mudhole.com]

I don't know anything about concept O. I've been using these Fugi guides guides and tip tops after consulting a rod builder who is also an instructor for the Mud Hole rod building course as well as a mentor. While I use these, there are many other quality guides out there. My goal for building muskie rods is to use quality parts with no weakest link in any part of a pole. Any pole can be built with cheaply made parts at a fraction of the price of what I spend for parts now. The result of using cheap parts can be a disaster at the time you have your biggest muskie on the line. When I started muskie fishing after retiring from the Navy, I bought what I could afford. Now, I have better equipment and there's really a difference. All of my early rods have been retired due to guide failures, one reel seat failure or outright breakage. I bought newer and quality branded rods along the but none measure up to the rods I've built in the last year. Once you start building, you see the difference in quality parts, performance, and construction.

Posted by: Chris Henry (---)
Date: January 18, 2020 07:34AM

Unfortunately they don’t have the MG SIC in what I need. A 9.0 (3.6) - 8 ring. I might have to look at the MN???

Date: January 18, 2020 12:06PM

I see what you want. You may wish to consider the alconite. If you use it and don't like it, not hard to remove if you use standard tip-top hot melt glue. The MN series differs by the tang on the top. Not really necessary, but would work. Good luck!

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: January 20, 2020 11:01AM

I've built a heap of musky rods with KW's. 2 of my personal rods run KW SiC gunsmoke and are paired with Tranx 500's. They both perform exceptionally well. The size 20 is plenty high to pair with the 500s. That being said, the MN will work as well.

I typically use the MN tip with SiC or Alconite rings depending what frame I'm using. I like having the tang on the tip. If you're not building for yourself and you are worried about someone who is going to reel the swivel into their tip and pop the ring out I would forego the MN and use something without a tang so you can switch it out easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2020 11:03AM by Anthony Holstein.

Posted by: brian rotolo (---)
Date: February 07, 2020 11:39AM

Could you please let me know where you found a telescopic rod blank. I can’t find any. Only option I see is cutting an existing blank and creating my own telescopic blank. Please help! Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster