I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NEW RECOIL Ice Guides
Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.227.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 16, 2020 02:23PM

Now at Mud Hole Custom Tackle REC RECOIL guides specifically designed for ice fishing. They come in two options, spinning and single foot / fly in the Titanium Finish and Black Pearl. According to the manufacturer, traditional RECOIL guides can lose its shape memory properties below 10 degrees, but not these RECOIL Ice Guides, which are proven to recoil in temperatures down to 4 degrees below zero!

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NEW RECOIL Ice Guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 16, 2020 10:18PM

Sir,
This comment is interesting.

As you have clearly said, the information is from the manufacturer of the guides and has the obvious knowledge of the exact alloy of each and every guide.

I wonder which alloy is used in their conventional guides compared to their ice guides.

When one looks at the properties of titanium and various alloys, it is difficult to see which alloy of titanium that this happens. But, of course, if the alloy is one that is not shown on the charts, it is quite possible that the statement could make sense:

[www.kobelco.co.jp]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 17, 2020 12:10AM

The Rec Recoil guides are made from a nickel titanium alloy which is also called nitinol. It about half nickel and half titanium. It has shape memory properties and different formulations have different temperature memory properties. It is a not an alloy listed by Kobeico, which all contain very high levels of titanium, and these titanium alloys are a different animal from nitinol.
Norm

Posted by: Jason Koller (---.552.sxflsdch38r.cust.sdnet.net)
Date: January 17, 2020 10:01AM

I checked out the website. I use recoils almost exclusively (on ice rods) but on my ice rods I don't go below 6's. It looks like the "ice guides" with the single foot only go to 5. I might purchase a couple and see how they compare to the standard guides. I'd really be surprised if I can see a difference in performance.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 18, 2020 08:07PM

My recoil guided rods have fished just fine below 10 degrees, not one failure. Never checked to see if they were as springy, too cold for silly stuff, enough on my plate when it's that cold. Rule #151: Never forget and only have felt soled boots in that weather.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 21, 2020 05:46PM

I'm guessing the ice-shedding abilities of recoil guides are based upon their flexibility and memory which allow them to return to their original shape. I am a big fan of NiTi Recoil Guides and a former "beat the guides against the bucket to clear the ice" hard-water fisherman. Lightweight Recoil guides are tough and resilient as @#$%& but they do flex easily enough so that one foot of a lightweight REC snake guide can and will back out from under the wrappings if you beat it against something to shatter ice buildup. Rod builders should consider taking two or three Forhan Wraps around each foot of a lightweight REC snake guide before applying epoxy. This will stop rod feet from springing loose. Those who enjoy steam-heated shanties can ignore this problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster