I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod suggestion please ?
Posted by: John Duncan (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2020 10:37AM

Looking to build a “ bonefish spinning rod for a good friend
Not sure what to choose
Fish range from 3-10 lbs mostly in the 5 lbs range very fast
Probably be casting very small shrimp or crabs ?
On 10-15 lb braid
Appreciate any and all suggestions

Thanks
J Duncan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod suggestion please ?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 16, 2020 11:57AM

With no information about the size of weight being cast I would look for any recommended spinning rod casting 10# - 15# braid. I am currently unaware of any fish species which need species specific rod blanks except possibly those fish with very soft mouths.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: January 16, 2020 01:16PM

Of course you want a travel rod, right? Below are two 3 piece 7 foot models.

I built one for almost that same purpose off the Rainshadow 841-3 RX6 and I'm very pleased with it. My purpose was to cast 1/8 oz glider jigs tied as flies to bones, and it works fine. It has a very fast action, lots of power in the butt, so I think it can go a little heavier on lures without being overloaded. It is not what I would call a ML power, but with its combination of a light tip and long heavy butt, maybe Rainshadow didn't know what to call it. There is also the 843-3 which is called a MH power.

I doubt if sensitivity is a high priority, but the blank is very sensitive, giving the impression of a much more expensive blank.

I tried a 8 1/2 foot 6 weight fly blank built a spin, but I couldn't get accurate on short casts with it. The 841 doesn't have that problem, and is a much "tighter" less "sloppy" action than the fly blank.

I used the Fuji KR guides, the CC slim SIC set, KLH 20-KLH10, KL5.5M, then size 4.5 runners (KB's and KT's). I use it with 21 # Hitena Pureline, Hitena Paranix 14# fly tippet, and a Shimano Stradic 4000 reel, and it casts a mile.

Now tell me where I can find bones that are mostly 5 pounds with some up to 10!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 16, 2020 05:10PM

Back in the mid 80's I got stationed in Miami and I brought my full array of salmon/steelhead rods, the one I loved for bonefish and sea trout was the G Loomis HSR 9000 2S two piece, Later I built one on the 3 piece travel blank in GLX. Decades later the Green Water series still has hot shot rods in the mix with only changes to the grips to meet saltwater needs.
NFC makes a HS 7600 2 piece blank that looks like the real deal all over again.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 16, 2020 06:10PM

We’d recommend a popping blank and maybe a crankbait. So from our RainShadow lineup the Revelation REVIP blanks would be great, L to ML power – just depending on length that you’d want. You can check the specs here: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: John Duncan (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2020 06:37PM

Thanks to everyone
Client has his own jet, hince. 1 piece should work

I will look at all of these suggestions and try to select the best one
A lot of good information and questions I didn’t think of

Thanks again
John d

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 08:35AM by John Duncan.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 17, 2020 02:05AM

The hot shot rods 8 ft. 3 in. and under are historically all 1 piece, they just make some 2 piece to expand the versatility even further, you can get 1 piece if you choose, though I have both and see no real advantage.
Blank material the rod is made of, yes, can be important, lower modulus blanks have worked better for the rods original purpose, number of pieces, not so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 02:09AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Dennis Penton (65.14.72.---)
Date: January 31, 2020 10:57AM

I really like my Rainshadow Immortal blank. They have a few inshore popping rods that should be great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster