I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Euro Nymph Blanks
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2020 07:28PM

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I visited here. I've still been very busy in the custom rod business. Just finished my first show of the Fishing Show season.

I'm on a search for good options in the Euro Nymph blank class. I've had great luck with the Batson's Eternity 2 10'6" 4 Wt, but I'm looking for some lighter weights in the 2 and 3 Wt. category, 11' length would be best. I'm trying to offer an alternative to the Cortland performance Euro Nymph rods, which are awesome but unavailable to the custom builder.

Just for grins, if you aren't familiar with this method, it uses no fly line for casting so the tip design needs to be very soft, and loads with little weight. It's been a growing request from customers and while there are completed rods available, I'm still looking for a good source for the 2 and 3 wt. categories.

Thanks in advance and hope everyone is wrapping straight and true these days.

Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Euro Nymph Blanks
Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: January 15, 2020 07:49PM

Subed

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2020 08:41PM

CTS Affinity X. I've done several for customers from 10ft to 11ft, 2 and 3wts. Its a very sensitive blank, not overly stiff for a "fast action" blank. All the customers that I have built them for love them.

Get a hold of Herb at HNL Rod Blanks.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2020 09:24PM

Thanks Bill,

I'll see if I can snag some of those.

I like building on CTS blanks.

Terry

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 15, 2020 10:26PM

CTS blanks look quite nice. Proof offers several blanks in 2-4 weights. I think Hook and Hackle has a 3 weight Xi blank. Of course Sage, Winston and T&T offer Euro Nymphing blanks, but price is $400 or more.

Posted by: Dean Christian (---)
Date: February 13, 2020 08:55AM

Just thought I’d put in my two cents here...the first euro nymph rod I cast was a friend’s newly built H&H Xi blank. It was so responsive and smooth that I knoI had to make my own 10’ 3/4wt. I ended up choosing a blank from Proof Fly Fishing, based on the great results I’d already had with Matt’s blanks (both carbon and fiberglass). Its a deep maroon color, labeled on his website as the “Czech Nymph” blank, goes for around $80. Now that it’s built, I find myself using this blank more than any of my other rods (some sage, st.croix, and batson). It works beautifully with my czech nymphing spool, but I often throw on a 5wt WF line and can toss a double nymph setup with a strike indicator farther than with most other rods I’ve used. IMO it’s every bit the rod that Xi offers but for slightly less money. If you haven’t looked into Proof yet I highly recommend checking them out. Heres a few picks of how it turned out... [imgur.com]

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.bendcable.com)
Date: February 13, 2020 10:12AM

Thanks Dean,

I bought one of the Proof Blanks. Great price. I haven't built it yet. I have a 2 and a 3 Wt. 11' on the way from CTS as well. These will all fill my euro nymph line up pretty well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster