I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Immortal Guide Suggestions
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: January 15, 2020 09:34AM

Contemplating a few guide options for building a Neko/Drop Shot style spinning rod on the IMMS610MXF. I have a few builds on the Revelation and the old 822.5, but this new rod I was hoping to make even lighter. I have had great success with the Microwave guides from American Tackle, but was thinking if I could combine Fuji K Series with Recoil RSPG's in the belly section of the blank. Though I am not entirely sold on the Recoil, is the price really worth it. Not looking for bells and whistles, really looking for the lightest set up and functionality, as it will need to pass a braid/flouro leader knot as well. What options are you guys using on this blank, and the size layout. Just trying to get some options to consider, I may make a few rods with different options. Appreciate the input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Immortal Guide Suggestions
Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 15, 2020 04:01PM

Here's a guide setup for that blank using our ALPS LF Guides. You can switch to the iF Guides which are a hair lighter.
1st XBLFTLG06 3.5"
2nd XBLFTLG06 7.25"
3rd XBLFTLG06 11"
4th XBLFTLG07 14.75"
5th XBLFTLG08 18.75"
6th XBLFTLG10 23.125"
7th XBLFTLG16 27.625" (
8th XBLFTLG25 32.5" (you could start with a size 20 and down to the 12 depending on the reel)

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: January 15, 2020 04:02PM

I built a drop shot rod on the Eternity version of that blank. I did a KR concept guide train using Fuji T2 guides, which are the dark grey titanium with the slim SIC inserts. I absolutely love them.

The rod has a 8.75" CFX rear grip, a Forecast size 17 skeleton reel seat with woven graphite insert, Alps TRS and TRB trim rings with an EVA butt cap. It weighs in a 3.65 oz. ...

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: January 15, 2020 05:33PM

I respectfully think that with a priority of being light, a 25 is overkill for braid and 6 sizes of guides is just not the optimum setup. To pass a knot, unless the leader is over 15 pound test, a 4 1/2 will pass the knot. I appreciate Batson's response, but I think there is a much more efficient way of accomplishing this build. I would use the Fuji KR series with a 3 guide reduction set and 4 1/2 runners, but if you want to use Batson guides, use the Alps Y guides with titanium frames, probably a 20-10-6 reduction train and 4 1/2's to the end. I built a MH power 7 foot Immortal for my son, with a two guide reduction train, 20-10, then the runners, and it is a very fine rod, casts great. I think the runners may have been 6's, but if I built it now, they would be smaller.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 15, 2020 06:21PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I respectfully think that with a priority of being
> light, a 25 is overkill for braid and 6 sizes of
> guides is just not the optimum setup. To pass a
> knot, unless the leader is over 15 pound test, a
> 4 1/2 will pass the knot. I appreciate Batson's
> response, but I think there is a much more
> efficient way of accomplishing this build. I
> would use the Fuji KR series with a 3 guide
> reduction set and 4 1/2 runners, but if you want
> to use Batson guides, use the Alps Y guides with
> titanium frames, probably a 20-10-6 reduction
> train and 4 1/2's to the end. I built a MH power
> 7 foot Immortal for my son, with a two guide
> reduction train, 20-10, then the runners, and it
> is a very fine rod, casts great. I think the
> runners may have been 6's, but if I built it now,
> they would be smaller.

I am totally with Michael, that is the perfect set up. I have used 4s for runners and could still pass a double uni knot with 20# braid and 20# Fluorocarbon leader. Not much difference between the 4s and 4.5s runners. I would not go any bigger than a 5 mm ring. Also though with 4s I will use a 4.5 tip top ring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 06:24PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---)
Date: January 15, 2020 09:24PM

What do u think of Fuji KL-H guides in sizes 16, 8, and 5.5, as stripper and reduction guides. For choke and running guides use one or two KB guides with the remaining being KT guides all in size 4.5 or 4.0.  I will be using 12# Braid to 8# Flouro leader.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 15, 2020 09:59PM

That’s a good choice which will work great. I really like the KR concept.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 16, 2020 12:45AM

Jay,
I totally with Norman that the KL-Hs are the way to go. Make certain the last reduction guide is a 5.5M and not the 5.5L. I typically use BCKLGAs because they are 5X to 7X cheaper than Ti with SiC or Tozite.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 17, 2020 01:42AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> I respectfully think that with a priority of being
> light, a 25 is overkill for braid and 6 sizes of
> guides is just not the optimum setup. To pass a
> knot, unless the leader is over 15 pound test, a
> 4 1/2 will pass the knot. I appreciate Batson's
> response, but I think there is a much more
> efficient way of accomplishing this build. I
> would use the Fuji KR series with a 3 guide
> reduction set and 4 1/2 runners, but if you want
> to use Batson guides, use the Alps Y guides with
> titanium frames, probably a 20-10-6 reduction
> train and 4 1/2's to the end. I built a MH power
> 7 foot Immortal for my son, with a two guide
> reduction train, 20-10, then the runners, and it
> is a very fine rod, casts great. I think the
> runners may have been 6's, but if I built it now,
> they would be smaller.

Agree 100% .

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: January 17, 2020 12:30PM

Jay Burns Wrote:
> What do u think of Fuji KL-H guides in sizes 16,
> 8, and 5.5, as stripper and reduction guides. For
> choke and running guides use one or two KB guides
> with the remaining being KT guides all in size 4.5
> or 4.0.  I will be using 12# Braid to 8# Flouro
> leader.

I built this blank with this exact KR guide train. The guy who got it had it up in canada for the week and couldn't stop talking about how much he loved it and how happy he was with the performance. This is the route I'd go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster