I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winn Grip Durability
Posted by: Jay Burns (---)
Date: January 14, 2020 05:22AM

About to consider cork or Winn grips for uplocking VSS spinning reel seat build. But i am concerned with the durability of using the Fuji Winn Grips. I know cork will stand the test of time but how about Winn? Have a rod with Tour Star grips that are falling apart after three years and a few winns showing age. Not sure its worth it in the long term.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winn Grip Durability
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 14, 2020 10:02AM

I would go with the cork. The Winn grips do wear away after a couple of years, durability is just not there.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 14, 2020 11:33AM

Jay,

If you are going to fish this rod heavily you will most likely begin to see wear after about two seasons of use. I have a couple out with tournament guys who had significant wear after a single season of use. They brought them back back and I replaced with cork for one user and the other chose carbon.

Tom

Posted by: Jay Burns (---)
Date: January 14, 2020 11:39AM

Yeah luckily my old man is pretty easy on his stuff, all the rods i made him have Winn products someplace. Mine i will stick with cork, dont need the pretty colors

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 14, 2020 02:59PM

Winn Grips are not the grips to use if you expect a lifetime grip that doesn't eventually need replacement . There is nothing i have used that offers the incredible feel and stickyness of Winn Grips though , you really have to experience it to appreciate it . If you get two or three seasons out of them i would be thrilled since you can buy a 44" overwrap for $10.00 to replace an entire grip on an average length rod . I purchase the 96" overwrap that will do close to two surf rod handles and that costs around $20.00.

If you desire to have the most sticky feeling handle ever Winn Gripps is what you want, nothing compares , but there's always a compromise and long term durability is that compromise . As thin as the overwraps are there is still more cushioning when compared to top grade cork or a handle made of carbon so sensitivity is also a trade off but it's not a large one .

If using Winn Grip overwraps DO NOT use anything underneath especially cork tape, that will really kill sensitivity , when i have used Winn Grips i always apply it directly to the blank.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 14, 2020 03:06PM

Don't forget about EVA. It holds up much better than the Winn material. I prefer cork if given a choice but I have EVA grips that are at least 20 years old and decent condition.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 14, 2020 03:24PM

Winn Grips are mostly EVA just much much thinner with the overwraps . I hate EVA foam grips UNLESS they're on offshore rods . Much much too thick .

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 14, 2020 04:47PM

if you like EVA you will love flocked EVA..i can,t think of anything more durable and still looks good after many years of use..

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 14, 2020 06:23PM

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Winn Grips are mostly EVA just much much thinner
> with the overwraps . I hate EVA foam grips UNLESS
> they're on offshore rods . Much much too thick .

Winn Grips have a skin that will begin to flake and peel. I have only used it on a few rods because of that. Regular EVA can be shaped to whatever thickness you desire, but like I said "I prefer cork".

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 14, 2020 09:18PM

I love cork. lol

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 15, 2020 04:28PM

i love cork grips too but do not love the cost of cork..now when i want to make a cork grip, i don,t use costly rings but simply coat a core of urethane with granulated cork and sand it to fineness and grip texture i like at a cost that is way more sensable..no pits or glue lines and excellent durability..but i have to say it,s hard to beat a good flocked grip on urethane or eva..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster