I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite Color Patterns
Posted by: Joel (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2001 06:25PM

Hey guys, i thought i would get a list of what you favor in color schemes. I personally dont have much experiance, but i like blue on silver, black with some blue, purple with teal, etc. Lets hear what you like for double and triple wraps.

Till Later,
Joel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite Color Patterns
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: November 23, 2001 07:06PM

Any metallic with Nylon over it, without Color Preserver. Red over Gold, Maroon over Gold, Purple over Pink, you see where I 'm going with this. I also like Teal w/ CP and mtallic or holographic Red inlayed.

Just do a sample wrap on scrap blank or under the handle assembly first to see how the bleed through will look.

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2001 07:38PM

Black with gold trim. Black with silver trim. Black with white trim. Black with almost anything is a home run. It never looks bad, doesn't show imperfections and is easy to work with. By changing the trim color you can make it work with almost any color blank or reel.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 24, 2001 09:33AM

If you have the nerve - white wraps with gold metallic trim.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.70.mhub.grid.net)
Date: November 24, 2001 11:21AM

Agree with William! Black with anything. I have had more compliments on a simple black/metalic gold trim wrap than a highly detailed multicolored wrap. No CP needed, no bleed through. All thread sizes finish out looking the same meaning that you can change thread sizes for large and small guides and large and small diameters of the blank.

You can also almost get away with this using hunter green, dark brown, dark blue.

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 24, 2001 11:33AM

Tom,
I was thinking white with something. I am getting ready to build on a couple of IMX flyrods (backordered) that are matte grey. What happens to the white with no CP applied? Also, with CP does it stay a true white or still bleed through?

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 24, 2001 12:08PM

Joel,
I'm sure as many opinions on color shemes out there as there are rodbuilders. I should get Solly here to comment, as she is the 'color coodinator' expert for me.

I'll take a stab anyway at this. As often, I agree with Mike Bolt with the last few choices in green, dark blue, dark brown. I would add gunsmoke, charcoal, and shades of gray , blue dunn, and other 'earth colors' to this list.

The trim wraps always add something extra no matter what color chosen. Add to this the idea about what is the color of the blank? That often will change your thinking about color choice. A green blank goes good with matching blank color thread with subtle trim.

Don't discount also some combinations you would never think work out. Often with adding color preserver the colors get muted to just the shade to match with 'clashing' collors. Just have to look at the combinations on practice blanks.

Personally, I also like Dark Blue or Dark Green with metallic copper.
Black also looks good with metallic red or metallic aquamarine.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 24, 2001 01:19PM

I agree with Rich. On rainshadow and SCIV green blanks, try green thread without CP, and a silver or gold inlay. The green will "melt" into the blank color and leave the inlaly as the prominent aspect. Looks very nice. I tend to go toward the subtle with a very delicate accent. On GLoomis black, I almost always use black with gold or silver inlay. Have used Garnet (maroon) without CP and silver inlay that turns out beautiful. Matching blank with primary wrap is probably my favorite, then adding a touch of contrast. Very classy.
Elrod

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 24, 2001 01:20PM

I always use NCP when working with white. That is the only way you will get a true bright white. Be forewarned though, that you have to handle it very carefully as it will show dust and dirt specks that other thread colors do not. And you must use either Permagloss or LS Supreme if you want it to remain water white - most other epoxies I have used will turn at least amber if not downright brown and it really shows on white - particularly if you are also working on a white blank. I have some rods that came just beautiful but the finish over the white thread turned brown in due course and ruined the effect.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 24, 2001 04:57PM

Yes, I forgot garnet, burgundy, and the dark reddish tones. Very classy, but often overused with some lesser quality factory rods. Still, I guess traditional and to a lot of customers' liking, especially with govt. gold trim.

One mention about the gold metallics. I know of using probably at least half a dozen different; glitzy gold, government gold, flashy gold, pale gold, olde gold, antique gold, even silk metallic gold. Remember to use these in matching up with particular guides or parts of the reel. There can be some wierd clashes even with picking the 'wrong' gold. I have been 'hand slapped' many times by the boss 'color coordinator' for the 'wrong' metallic choices.
Be forewarned.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: November 24, 2001 06:29PM

My "rookie" .02 ;) My favorite is garnet (no cp), with white ncp trim bands. This combo looks great with a nickle silver seat and winding check. (Soon to try out the pearl metallic for trim.)
Mike

Rich...
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: November 24, 2001 08:35PM

You listed almost all the colors on teh color wheel!! We should've asked which colors you don't use!!

Black over metallic base wrap does look nice and hides a lot, but you shouldn't have anything to hide in the first place. My thinking is this - I want my rod to be different and stand out - a lot of rods, custom and factory use the Black and metallic combo, which bores me.

Billy

Boring?
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.102.mhub.grid.net)
Date: November 24, 2001 09:52PM

Hmmmm, Billy, ever wonder why the factory and customs are done in black and a metalic? A lot of folks think they look good! There are a lot of things that you can do only using black (or any dark color) and gold. Inlays really stand out, detailed butt wraps, etc.

I did a rod that stood out before! A customer came in and wanted a live bait rod for his girlfriend, teal and pink with gold trim on a white blank with red grips. After my eyes re-adjusted, I immediately went back and built a black and gold to get in touch with my senses.

So much for standing out! Whatever floats your boat I reckon.

Hey Billy
Posted by: Rich G. (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 25, 2001 11:43AM

You're right. We use a lot of thread colors. You should see the wacky 'random' combinations on the ice rods (purposely done to see them better in the snow).

Seriously though, black is the most used and popular. I find this through our sales of spools and by far, black is #1 still. And, they do stand out for neat custom rods. Aside from guide wraps, a lot of black thread is used to close in the butt wraps for some elegent effect and yet show the complicated nature that brag's of custom rods. Consider a butt wrap that shows a simple few stylized fish in metallic 'floating' and completely closed in around black thread. The effect does not immediately show anything but the simple arrowead shaped fish head with a tail, however one can understand on close inspection that the custom builder went to a lot of artistry to get there by using the black thread. This is far from boring.

I digressed from the wrapping idea, but yes we do, and have used a lot of color combinations even on wraps. Boring would be a simple black wrap to repair a guide and no trim whatsoever, which in reality is what one does a lot of in a rod repair shop. The Custom Builder should use many options at their disposal, in my opinion. Either will float the boat and consider also customer satisfaction to be the name of the game, as well.

Now, if my wife comes in here to post, we'll all get 'the lesson' of the day. I'll keep quiet.

Rich
Solryich Custom Rods

Re: Hey Billy and everyone
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2001 10:20AM

Im pondering a new project , I was thinking of a t&t deep blue and ran some of the popular color patterns by the mrs.

I told her I was thinking of purple wraps with silver trim, Her comment was That men are just color blind. I hear what your saying Rich.

Ive only built green rods in the past and my favorite color wrap for emerald green is garnet with some sort of gold trim.

my favorite rod was emerald green with garnet wraps and jasper for trim wraps.

"Happy wrapping" John

Re: Hey Billy and everyone
Posted by: Bill OConnor (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: November 26, 2001 03:41PM

My personal rods are done in Aqua metalic under with Cobolt Blue nylon over. some i trimmed in peal HT Metalic some no trim band but a single thread center band of cobalt or black on a black blank.
I do have one 8ft graphite that is hot pink under, trim is chartruse and the over wrap is NCP dusty purple.....looks cool! Nobody seems to want to borrow that rod!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster